Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108cdi
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Mercedes Vito CDI are a reliable vans...whats your thoughts on this, are they good vans...Would you recommend these vans to anyone thinking about getting one???

And what should people look out for...

i know on this forum that there is alot of bad news and problems..But like always people dont post good news...

Also how long have you had your vans and have you had any problems with it...

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,390 Posts
generally reliable (apart from the odd rogue) until at least 300k.

listen for noises from front shafts.

look for surface rust on doors and panels, more serious rust on door edges and rebates (the hole the door fits into) esp the corners at the back edges of the doors.

vito engines run well on castrol gtd2 oil (asda £15) and 6ltrs sunflower oil to a full tank (or Millers diesel boost (car shops £8 4-6 tankfuls)

get it in the air and check rust on chassis members - it shouldn't cause a major problem.

be very careful to inspect rear brakes for rust - esp handbrake mechanism at the back wheel and central adjuster (they are very difficult to examine.

check rear wheel backplates for rust around the handbrake springs - mine rotted through, causing the shoes to fall into the wheel; needed new bearings, backplates, shoes, discs, springs and cables --- sounds a lot but I did it myself for under £250.

All these bits apply to all 2nd hand vehicles and I've found less problems on the vito than most (ford, vauxhall, leyland, fiat etc)

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
Yep.. the engines (if services religiously) are bulletproof until at least 300k. I know a number of sprinters that have 260k+ miles on them and run as sweet as a nut. The bodywork is always the problem on the vitos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i bought 108 vito from new and was nothing but trouble. i wont list these as it gives me blood pressure. i kept it for 5 years with only 64000 miles. pile of shite!!

problem is i bought a new 2004 model vito 111 for £21000, i know i should have known better. one born every minute.
air con,auto,fold mirrors etc,etc
its been a bigger pile of shite than the first one, my main problem now is rust. i had rust problem after 12 months and rectified and told no further problems. now i have rust on the tail gate, sills,bonnet etc,etc. jusr over 3 years old and 24000 miles. DONT BUY A MERC VITO !!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
rusty vito

i bought 108 vito from new and was nothing but trouble. i wont list these as it gives me blood pressure. i kept it for 5 years with only 64000 miles. pile of shite!!

problem is i bought a new 2004 model vito 111 for £21000, i know i should have known better. one born every minute.
air con,auto,fold mirrors etc,etc
its been a bigger pile of shite than the first one, my main problem now is rust. i had rust problem after 12 months and rectified and told no further problems. now i have rust on the tail gate, sills,bonnet etc,etc. jusr over 3 years old and 24000 miles. DONT BUY A MERC VITO !!!!!!

·
Registered
Vito 112 CDi year:2001
303 Posts
Deja vu.....no, you just posted the same comment 10 times.

Why not share some of your shite with the forum and how it was fixed.
Just a few bits of shite at a time should keep your blood pressure down.

Ungalvanised vans and rust go together like flies round

·
Registered
Merc Vito 110cdi
29 Posts
Here look im no expert on vans and fair enough these can be a bugger for the dreaded blood rust but all im reading this week is tiresome problems with very little help for the guy whos wanting feedback.
Ive only had mine a few months and came from a mint vw t4 which in some ways i regret but that to was starting.
I feel most vitos like the rest of the worky vans are abussed and will have there problems.
Saying there shite without giving valid reasons is crazy.
Mine is just nearly 5 years old and although ive just had a full paint there was no rust under the paint only dents from the previous owner.
Also as for the engine again treat it right and all modern engines should give a least 200k without much chew.
I would also like to add there easy as pie to work on and parts are cheap enough with plenty of after market goodies.
My next motor maybe another VW but for the time been im happy as larry with the CDI
Your money mate just dont buy someone elses crap and you will be fine.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my 04 112 CDI @ 70k km.
After 2days I had a timing sensor become less than reliable. $700Aud dealer repair.
Then later on I hit a kangaroo took six weeks to get it back onto the road and its still not got all of the trim parts replaced. No spares in the country and it seems very few elsewhere.
I am told that the motors are good for 500k km but they must be serviced exactly on time.
I love the seating position and I love the power. But it was 10 to 15 years ago that the last legendary reliable mercedes was made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts