Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320 base
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 1999 E320 with oil leaks from the valve and breather covers. This was disclosed to me after a dealer PPI I had done on the car. The car has 227k miles on it. Anyway, after a more thorough reading of the (lifetime) service records, I discovered that the breather covers had been epoxied…..yes, epoxied... to the valve covers in a small town a few years ago AT A SHOP. (they claimed no service gaskets available for the reason in the notes).

Disappointing.

Anyway, this car is cosmetically very nice with no real rust and runs and drives well. Most importantly the price was right.

I have been looking at buying new and have noticed that the ones for sale are really only the #'s 1120100530 and 1120100540. I verified this at the dealer, and it looks to be the valve cover from the next generation E320 (superseded).

I was able to track down some covers from a local junkyard which I plan to reseal and install on my car. but they are a different part # which are A1120160705 and A1120160605. This appears to come from a 2003-2008 E240. The guy at the yard said they would work and they do look identical from the outside at least.

I would buy new, but I am really trying to keep this as a "cheap Mercedes", and these are a fraction of new and I already have the Toyota sealer on hand.

By the way, I live in an area almost devoid of Mercedes. These were all I could find local to me. And I like local.

So the question:

Are M112 valve covers functionally the same across the range?

I had noticed that only one parts website out of the 5 major parts sites I researched listed the dealer (superseded) number as fitting my car, so I wonder if all of the covers are really the same.

Would like to hear some opinions; or even if someone knows for sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,958 Posts
How will you remove the epoxied on cover without damaging the head?

·
Registered
1999 E320 base
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only the breather boxes are epoxied to the valve covers (I hope); The invoice listed valve cover gaskets and described the action of epoxying the "top part" of the valve cover. The notes state that they epoxied the top part of the cover. I guess if they did epoxy the valve covers to the head, it will be game over.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,958 Posts
Hopefully the shop was not that bad to epoxy tge whole thing.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Frankly - I have seen cases of normal oil "weepage" with accumulated dirt/road gunk - "look" like leakage - but kindof a visual overplay.

I would give the engine a good cleaning - then wait really to see if you have a "genuine" versus "visual" problem..

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,912 Posts
Breather cover leak

What kind of knuckleheads were at the shop that did this?

Fab is right, you may want to first verify that the breather covers are leaking before doing the transplant.

For example, the breather hoses are probably crumbled with age and leaking at this point and need replacing. These are available on-line, and need to be done concurrent the with valve cover work so it would be an easy investment.

DIY for the whole shebang with pics:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1927017-valve-cover-gasket-breather-cover-sealant.html

·
Registered
1999 E320 base
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frankly - I have seen cases of normal oil "weepage" with accumulated dirt/road gunk - "look" like leakage - but kindof a visual overplay.

I would give the engine a good cleaning - then wait really to see if you have a "genuine" versus "visual" problem..

Good point, thanks!

The right cover does appear to be leaking both at the gasket level as well as the breather box. The entire valve cover is lightly oiled and it is not running, but creeping down the back and side of the head. There is not a lot of dirt per se on the covers, as it has only been about 24k miles since the "incident". The left side appears to only be leaking from where the plastic filler spout attaches. I may just proceed with the left side, although I will inspect the breather box from the right and based on it's condition, I may go ahead with the left one.

·
Registered
1999 E320 base
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What kind of knuckleheads were at the shop that did this?

Fab is right, you may want to first verify that the breather covers are leaking before doing the transplant.

For example, the breather hoses are probably crumbled with age and leaking at this point and need replacing. These are available on-line, and need to be done concurrent the with valve cover work so it would be an easy investment.

DIY for the whole shebang with pics:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1927017-valve-cover-gasket-breather-cover-sealant.html[/QUOTE

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, it is a little crazy that any shop would do this. This happened in a smaller mountain town, but the strange (good) part is that they did change out the breather hoses and that with the oil change they used a correct filter and Mobil 1. I just kept re- reading the notes after I saw the epoxy bit; couldn't believe it. Apparently they believed that the whole cover was a modular unit and needed to be replaced entire. Still hard to believe it happened, though, but there is definitely multi metal epoxy between the breather box and cover. So far, I have not seen evidence of any between the cover and head. I will verify that in the next days after I clean up and reseal the covers I bought.

Thanks for the write up; His cover leak on the right looks a lot like mine, but my valve cover proper is also covered with a sheen.

·
Registered
1999 E320 base
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wrong part # valve covers

The covers appear to be identical to the images I have seen online, but I guess the real test will be when thy are side by side with the old one(s).

I am wondering now how the plastic filler neck attaches to the left cover? I have leaking from there, and at any rate will need to change that part over to the "new" cover if I decide to r&r the left side

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,912 Posts
The filler neck is a twist off - just like the cap. If you damage the plastic filler neck during removal (a possibility due to heat and age) the oil filler cap will fit the hole until you order a new filler cap (if you want to).

·
Registered
1999 E320 base
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!, It did rotate a little; wanted to make sure there wasn't a locking tab or something

1 - 11 of 11 Posts