Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
17,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ones with the little bumperette on front bumper. Rear are like a regular Euro.

Does the bumperette kill the value compared to the later Euro bumpers?

Are these just one of those quarky rare bits on W116 like front fender mounted antennas and column shifters?

Example

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
8,423 Posts
You could probably remove those little extra rubber bumpers fairly easily, but in my opinion, even with those rubber bits these bumpers looks way better than the follow-on DOT mandate 5mph behemoths.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I like it. It reminds me of Ford's take on the W116, bookshelf-style bumper and all, but better executed.

Sorry about the example, it is a work in progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I would prefer not to have them. But that small early bumper with them is FAR better than the later US parking bench bumpers.
The main front bumper is a different part number for the one's without the rubber. It also has a chrome fill strip where the rubber is on the other ones, so getting rid of them probably isnt an option.

W116 have plenty of deal breakers (rust) so these little bumperettes are pretty insignificant and I doubt they affect value. They are also a small quirk that makes cars with them identifiable from the exterior. Just a part of their history.

·
17,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

I have a set of these from years back and was torn between hanging on to them or passing them along to someone else. W116’s are non existent here but will hold out a few more years and maybe, just maybe another will arrive on one of the islands.

Yeah rumb, not a fan of the US spec anything’s ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts