Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a transmission that came out of a 190e 2.6 for my 300D 2.5 Turbo. Are they compatible or did I waste my money?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,949 Posts
There are many flavors 722.4, and they all bolt up, but they are all adjusted/tuned slightly different depending on application.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
6,887 Posts
So I purchased a transmission that came out of a 190e 2.6 for my 300D 2.5 Turbo. Are they compatible or did I waste my money?
imo, you should have asked before you made the purchase, or contacted Sun Valley for a proper warrantied replacement.

Transmissions are tuned to a specific engine.
If you use one that's not suited, you might experience problems with shift points and shift quality, thus adjustments are most likely needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imo, you should have asked before you made the purchase, or contacted Sun Valley for a proper warrantied replacement.

Transmissions are tuned to a specific engine.
If you use one that's not suited, you might experience problems with shift points and shift quality, thus adjustments are most likely needed.
How does one make those adjustments?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are many flavors 722.4, and they all bolt up, but they are all adjusted/tuned slightly different depending on application.
Is there a way to tune/adjust the transmission or is that pre-done from the factory?

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
6,887 Posts

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
1,247 Posts
Is there a way to tune/adjust the transmission or is that pre-done from the factory?
We have adjusted shift points using the Bowden cable method (up by the throttle linkage). But that is with the 722.5 gearbox in its original configuration.

We adjusted shift quality (hard/soft) by trial and error at the vacuum modulator (correct description?).

All is well at the moment.

This thread may give you some clues:

RayH

·
Registered
1993 230 TE.1999 om 606 td. and 722.6 3.2L,clk w208 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
848 Posts
Doesn't that one have no first gear start?

·
Registered
W124
5,655 Posts
Considering a diesel produces sharp and strong power pulses in comparison to a gas motor, I would not want to put a puny 2.6 liter gas transmission in a diesel. It ain't worth the risk of having to do it again IMO. I could be wrong but logic would indicate they aren't the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts