Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice set on ebay sans caps. Just curious what they fit.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Hi,

Strictly speaking yes.

The original AMG 9J Pentas have an offset of zero, e=0 and were fitted to the front on the AMG widebody. These can however be fitted to the rear on a standard body w126.

However, the 10" Pentas had an offset of -12.7 (yes, negative 12.7) and will only work on the rears of a widebody.

cheers
talbir

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
talbir is correct. that is the exact offset i have for the wheels on my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I won the wide body Pentas on Ebay with only a few seconds left. Now hopefully, my refinisher can get them looking half as good as French Mercedes wheels!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You won't believe it. The bidder who came in third, just emailed me. It seems that he is in Brazil arriving here tomorrow to pick up parts for a 6.9 he is restoring. He asks that in light of this, I let him have the wide body wheels for a $27.00 profit. My winning bid was like $622.00 and he's offering $650.00. No, I'm not kidding!

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
So are you going to get those wheels all fixed up, get center caps and have them fitted on the wide body you supposedly have? Quit teasing us with the list of cars and post some pics of the beauties.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
After seeinghow great French Mercedes wheels turned out, I'm going for that, but in black spoked, clear coated in Imron and highly polished lips. I have 2 sets of brand new center caps. My wide body already has them, but I can't pass these up. I really feel bad for the guy coming from Brazil, but I don't think they would work on a 6.9 and his offer wasjust ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I received my set of these wheels Thurdsay last week, 9J's and 10J's, et 0 and -12.7 respectively.

However, I was lucky to get AMG's latter version of the front widebody 9J wheels. The earlier versions (made by ATS) had the centre 5-spoke piece inset, whereas the later version (made by Aitwe and Ronal) have that piece raised outwards at the point where it meets the outer deep dish rim. This is to accomodate the post 09/85 AMG calipers, which were bigger than the earlier ones.

So on the latter 9J wheels, the outer deep dish effect is reduced, but the angle of the spokes to the centre is greater and the effect of the wheels is enhanced.

The 5-spoke widebody Penta's are really intended for the pre 09/85 widebody SEC, as the wheels blend with the ribbed side-mouldings. The later widebody's with smooth side mouldings had the option of the 3-piece AMG wheels (made by OZ Racing), which came in 8.5J et18 and 10J et17 for the non-widebody SEC.... BUT for the post 09/85 widebody's, these same wheels were enhanced to options of 10J with et5 at the rear or 12J (!!!) with et17 !!! Absolutely priceless and the ultimate wheels for the later widebody's.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
talbir - 5/1/2005 8:09 AM

I received my set of these wheels Thurdsay last week, 9J's and 10J's, et 0 and -12.7 respectively.

However, I was lucky to get AMG's latter version of the front widebody 9J wheels. The earlier versions (made by ATS) had the centre 5-spoke piece inset, whereas the later version (made by Aitwe and Ronal) have that piece raised outwards at the point where it meets the outer deep dish rim. This is to accomodate the post 09/85 AMG calipers, which were bigger than the earlier ones.

So on the latter 9J wheels, the outer deep dish effect is reduced, but the angle of the spokes to the centre is greater and the effect of the wheels is enhanced.

The 5-spoke widebody Penta's are really intended for the pre 09/85 widebody SEC, as the wheels blend with the ribbed side-mouldings. The later widebody's with smooth side mouldings had the option of the 3-piece AMG wheels (made by OZ Racing), which came in 8.5J et18 and 10J et17 for the non-widebody SEC.... BUT for the post 09/85 widebody's, these same wheels were enhanced to options of 10J with et5 at the rear or 12J (!!!) with et17 !!! Absolutely priceless and the ultimate wheels for the later widebody's.
Thanks for the info! Learned something new[8D]

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
marlinspike said:
This is real old, but do you have one of those scans except for an SE instead of SEC?
The figures are exactly the same for the SE and SEL...the only numbers that do not apply are for Widebody wheels.

talbir

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,296 Posts
talbir said:
The figures are exactly the same for the SE and SEL...the only numbers that do not apply are for Widebody wheels.
talbir
I figured they're the same, I was just kinda interested to see it (mainly to see what body kit stuff they offered). I wonder why on the 16x8's they called for 225/50 and not 245/50 (both are off the correct speedo calibration by a similar amount, just in different directions)?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
245 is too much tyre for an 8J rim....225 is ideal.

talbir

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,296 Posts
talbir said:
245 is too much tyre for an 8J rim....225 is ideal.

talbir
According to tire rack, the measured rim width (i.e. the rim width they mount the tire on to calculate the specs from) of a 245/50-16 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is 7.5. For 225 they use 7". (I don't know why I said the tire model name since these are industry standardized).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts