Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, As some of you are aware, I had a bit of hassle in importing my U1000. After 7 months of battling, I finaly won out - however, it was still not the best outcome as I had to concede a little. However, as a result, there are a few "lessons learned" in the whole saga and I thought I would put together a basic guideline on the whole quarantine side of things. Hopefully this will help some fellow Australians. See attachments.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Unimogs 435's
758 Posts
I have never shipped a unimog into the country via RORO without a bill for less than $3000 in cleaning and the most was $5000, that's a lot of cleaning at $85/ hr. I have had customers buy Unimogs in Europe because they were cheaper, yes, but by the time they pay shipping cleaning tax duty and shipping to home they see there isn't that much of a margin especially if, let's say the gearbox needs rebuilding or the motor or brakes and bearings or a combination of all of them. I haven't shipped in a container but I have heard horror stories about bills for damaged containers and damaged vehicles.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Nashy,

I can tell you now with confidence that you should not be paying more than $2000 for getting it through quarantine. If your vehicle is as clean as mine was, and the AQIS/cleaners are doing thier job, then that should be the most it ought to cost. Anymore than that and someone is taking advantage or not doing thier job properly. This is based on there being minor QRM on the vehicle, it fails first inspection, gets cleaned properly and passes the second inspection. As you can see from the example photos, minor QRM is quite obvious and I know mine did not have anything like it. It was purely the cleaners being incompetent or deliberately not cleaning properly. This is why being present should make all the difference. I suspect the reason it often is so expensive is because they get away with it 99% of the time given that thier clients are mostly big companies such as the mining companies - they just pay without questioning.

·
Registered
1986 U1300L; 1976 U900 Cabriolet
346 Posts
Thanks Pieter - I'm about to become the next test case and will post to this thread once I've been through the AQIS wringer. I'm going to use a customs agent plus be there. RORO or container I think Australia deserves the right to give the vehicle a good clean before release.......as long as it's just the one good clean.

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,005 Posts
So ... how do I start a business doing this cleaning work??? :)

So you said you had a battle can you elaborate on that? Glad you succeeded some I recall the hell you took in getting your truck to your driveway.

·
Premium Member
Unimogs 435's
758 Posts
Had I only intended in bringing in one Unimog I probably would have gone down the path you did and dispute the cleaning bill, however I was warned against stirring up AQUIS and the cleaning contractors , there are only two at the port I ship into so the choice is limited. I will however be going down to watch the next cleaning process and I'll be taking a stopwatch!!!!

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nashy, I see your point as you do not want to burn bridges. However, it seems obvious to me that they are exploiting the situation because they can get away with it. Of course you want to maintain good relations with them, but at the same time, you are entitled to fair treatment. The situation with not being on the ground observing exactly what is going on, works against you and for them. I reckon it is entirely doable in getting to a situation where they realise you know better, expect better but without being nasty or burning bridges. The only way realy is being there at least once or twice, so they come to realise that you know exactly what is involved and then unable to be exploited.

You have to give them no wriggle room - that means, making sure the vehicle is as clean as possible before shipping and HAVING proof that this is so - ie photos. Being there when they offload so they know you know that is clean and animals did not shit all over it during the voyage (or whatever ridiculous excuse they might cook up). And let them know that this is what you are doing - in other words forget about ambushing them or trying to catch them out. Just make sure they know that it will be impossible for them to bullshit. This is why I suggest striking up a conversation with the AQIS officer before things happen - so he knows that you have ensured it is clean, you have the proof (photos + inspection certificate) and you will be there to witness offloading and first inspection. As you go through the inspection with the AQIS guy, there is simply no room to manouver. It might be that the officer could try to be difficult, but I actually doubt it. In any case, ask them for thier current Work Instruction so they know that you know what needs doing and how inspections are meant to go. If they refuse, let me know, I have a copy of the work instruction that I obtained from DAFF when I fought my battle. That is where the photos of QRM I posted comes from. I did want to post the whole work instruction without thier permission. At the end of the day, they should come to know you as someone who is straight, doing the right things and not be BS'd - respect both ways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts