Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 55 AMG '03
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a navigation command unit for my CLK 2003, W209. Is it possible to have the APS 30 installed? Will it be compatible with the existing CLK system wiring? At present I have the standard indash 6 CD changer etc. with steering controls. Please throw in your two cents. Thx.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
As far as I can tell, the Audio 30 APS is for Europe only. I investigate the possibilit...

As far as I can tell, the Audio 30 APS is for Europe only. I investigate the possibility of using one in the United States. There are no mapping software cd-roms for North America. I suggest that you contact your dealer or local Becker distributor and ask if there is mapping software for New Zealand.

·
Registered
CLK 55 AMG '03
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx. Lynn! NZ or OZ do not have such a software.Damn!!However, you can call me "superficia...

Thx. Lynn! NZ or OZ do not have such a software.Damn!!However, you can call me "superficial"...but I might still buy this unit and place it in the empty panel/bracket b/w the Audio10 unit (above) and the thermotronic unit( below). I am a sucker for high tech looks & cosmetic effects on the interior and just placing an APS 30 might add to the amber light effect and give a sense of "fullness" to the middle console panel. I find the middle empty bracket to be quite ugly and disruptive of the interior looks.The question is whether I can get it hooked up and wired in to get the "lighting" effect OR does an APS 30 only replaces an APS 10?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The Audio 30 APS will not fit under the Audio 10. It will only fit in the same space as...

The Audio 30 APS will not fit under the Audio 10. It will only fit in the same space as the Audio 20 thanks to MB deciding to use non-DIN standard sizes for their radios.

If you want to fill the entire space, you could probably retrofit a COMAND. Mapping software for the Antipodes is available for COMAND. For more info contact Steve Krabbenborg at www.mbenz.nl Steve installed a COMAND in my car. He comes to the US to do installations, but has a wiring loom he supplies to those who buy from him but are in locations he can't get to. Although, I'm sure he would be happy to see New Zealand if you paid for the trip for the Netherlands.[:D] I can't say what his exact price would be, but US$1500 is usually close.

·
Registered
CLK 55 AMG '03
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou!I have sent an email to Steve. I tried to google some literature on the CLK comma...

Thankyou!I have sent an email to Steve. I tried to google some literature on the CLK command unit esp. re retrofitting....but to no avail. Please let me know if there is any info on this out there, URLs or pics.

Thx.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
COMAND retrofit

There is a lot of info at mbworld.org about retrofitting COMAND into W203's. Since the W209 uses the same platform and electronics, that info should apply to you.

BTW, Steve has been on holiday in California, and he gets hundreds of e-mails per week. Don't worry if he doesn't respond immediately. He will respond as soon as he can. He is a man of high integrity. If you buy from him and have any problems, he will fix them.

·
Registered
CLK 55 AMG '03
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lynn,
Steve has the unit and we are talking on email.He replied within hours...but I am w...

Lynn,
Steve has the unit and we are talking on email.He replied within hours...but I am waiting to hear back about pricing & shipping costs. Was the software..he provided to you, in English? I have been in touch with the local MB dealer who believes that if Steve can supply all the installation accessories...than he can do the job for me. BTW what did you mean by "Mapping software for Antipodes"...excusing my ignorance..please let me know? Also...Thankyou so much for all the invaluable info so far. I'd be lost otherwise!

Cheers

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Steve did not provide any software. The COMAND's operating system is installed on EPROM...

Steve did not provide any software. The COMAND's operating system is installed on EPROM's. I did order a COMAND manual in English from him.

"Mapping software for the Antipodes" means the maps on cd-roms for New Zealand and Australia. This should be available from any MB dealer. If the Blaupunkt DX-N navigation system is sold in New Zealand, those cd-roms should work. I use the Blaupunkt cd-rom for my area of the US. Best bet is to test the cd-rom before buying it, or make sure you can return it if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
CLK 55 AMG '03
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now to Linguatronic...

I have almost wrapped up a deal with Steve. The mapping software for NZ is available as DVD-ram....which won't work on the COMAND acc. to Steve. But the good news is that it'll be available on CDs soon. Question!! With the COMAND in place...can one have voice recognition i.e "Linguatronic" system retrofitted? I did'nt get a phone as a factory option...so don't know/think if I I have a microphone is installed. If this is so....can one get Linguatronics on board?? MB here in NZ give varying answers. Every "expert" there has different views. They haven't done it on a W209 so far....as they are quite scarce. so any help in the right direction will be appreciated.

cheers!

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Good news is that Steve can also install a Nokia phone kit for your car to work with the s...

Good news is that Steve can also install a Nokia phone kit for your car to work with the system. So you don't have to pay extra for a MB phone.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Lynn, I just read that you mentioned Steve installed the command in your car. Did he co...

Lynn, I just read that you mentioned Steve installed the command in your car. Did he come to where you're or you had to go to where he was? And where did he normal go to do all the works?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
I picked him up at the St. Louis airport and he did the work in my garage. He has insta...

I picked him up at the St. Louis airport and he did the work in my garage. He has installed them in airport parking lots. He usually does installations in New York or California. If you can't go to those places, he will come to you if you pay his airfare and put him up if he can't fly out the same day.

For my installation, he flew in from Columbus, Ohio. I paid for his ticket to Los Angeles, and a hotel room. The COMAND istallation in a C takes him about an hour or so.

·
Registered
CLK320
16 Posts
Re: Now to Linguatronic...

I have almost wrapped up a deal with Steve. The mapping software for NZ is available as DVD-ram....which won't work on the COMAND acc. to Steve. But the good news is that it'll be available on CDs soon. Question!! With the COMAND in place...can one have voice recognition i.e "Linguatronic" system retrofitted? I did'nt get a phone as a factory option...so don't know/think if I I have a microphone is installed. If this is so....can one get Linguatronics on board?? MB here in NZ give varying answers. Every "expert" there has different views. They haven't done it on a W209 so far....as they are quite scarce. so any help in the right direction will be appreciated.

cheers!

Yes, you can retrofit the Linguatronic system and it is very easy to do, as is the retrofit of the Comand and CD changer in the W209(takes about 1- 2 hours). Not 100% sure but I think that the Phone needs to be installed for the Linguatronic to work but Steve should be able to help you out with this.

·
Registered
CLK 55 AMG '03
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Linguatronic update on W209

Thanks for the info. MB here claim that it can be done. However it's a big job and they will need the wiring loom etc. Will write to Steve soon. Have bought COMAND unit from him. awaiting arrival...will update. Looks like I'll have to get it done from a non MB tech. as MB here claim that it will invalidate the warranty of my car if I dont buy & install the whole package through MB NZ, even though every bit that Steve sells is MB oem. Bureacrats!!

·
Registered
CLK320
41 Posts
Re: Linguatronic update on W209

MB here claim that it will invalidate the warranty of my car if I dont buy & install the whole package through MB NZ, even though every bit that Steve sells is MB oem. Bureacrats!!
This sounds like a way of manipulating you to use (and pay) them. It might be worth a few minutes effort to read the warranty and see if this is so, or to save a bit of reading, get MB NZ to tell you which section of the warranty they are using as their authority.

In the worst case, if you did the work and their was a warranty claim on something else, they would have to prove (to a judge) that the work you did was the cause of the warranty claim. E.g. linguatronic yourself could not cause the transmission to fall off.

·
Registered
CLK 55 AMG '03
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MB manipulation!

...not only the COMAND...even if I get "non MB" approved xenons or any other device...I loose my warranty...esp. so if I get it done by a non MB dealer. This is nothing but a scam! I can take onboard suggestions like loosing Audio warranty if I retrofit a COMAND module...but it defies logic when they claim that I loose out on all warranty for the whole car. Have discussed this with Steve. His parts , wires, adaptors etc. are all MB parts with serial numbers...and I know that in the courts, this will be taken into account. But I looked at my CLKs manual. It does mention repeatedly that if I use non MB approved parts without a symbol "e"...I am liable to loose my vehicle operating permit ( whatever the hell that is !!), as well as vehicle warranty. Since I have no time to plan out court battles...I intend to buy a private vehicle mechanical & electrical breakdown warranty from a reputable insurer like AA etc... and I'll use that....as it is free of these silly "pre conditions". I am really excited now that I am to recieve my COMAND anytime now. Will be installing it within 48 hours. will post pre & post installation pics. I have really come to admire Steve during this time. He has earned my respect with all that he has done to educate & help me so far...even though I haven't even recieved the unit yet. Is the warranty issue the sam e in the US & elsewhere?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Many dealers in the US try to pull the same thing. Most limit it to items directly effe...

Many dealers in the US try to pull the same thing. Most limit it to items directly effect by the modification, but one person was denied his "free" Service A because of HID headlights. We pay more for our cars because we get "free" maintenence for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

By law, the dealer or manufacturer must prove that a modification or non-authorized part caused the problem. However, the question then becomes, who can buy better legal representation, the consumer or the dealer/MBUSA?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Linguatronic update on W209

Thanks for the info. MB here claim that it can be done. However it's a big job and they will need the wiring loom etc. Will write to Steve soon. Have bought COMAND unit from him. awaiting arrival...will update. Looks like I'll have to get it done from a non MB tech. as MB here claim that it will invalidate the warranty of my car if I dont buy & install the whole package through MB NZ, even though every bit that Steve sells is MB oem. Bureacrats!!
Hey, if you need help in the next couple of weeks, let me know. I'd like to do some snowboarding. :)

-s-

·
Registered
26 Posts
Amazing that MB NZ charged you 4 hours of labour for something that only takes 30 minutes ...

Amazing that MB NZ charged you 4 hours of labour for something that only takes 30 minutes (with that adapter wiring) and another 10 minutes to activate the navigation menu in the dashcluster...

Nevertheless: enjoy comand and don't get distracted :D .

greetingz,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts