Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my recall notice today and shock my head after I read the paragraph below. I went through a stop sign at 30 MPH and prayed that the car would stop. Of course the dealer could not find nothing wrong. The dealer said it may be a while before the car adapts to me because of the adaptive system. BS.

The SBC brake system in certain E-Class, SL-Class, and CLS vehicles, in certain instances, may shift to hydraulic back up mode due to loosening of the ground wire harness connection over time. In hydraulic backup mode, the driver has braking power sufficient to stop the vehicle, although greater brake pedal pressure is required and the rake pedal travel will be noticeably longer which could lead to a vehicle crash.

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
My mother's '03 E 320 has had two separate SBC brake recalls, yet my '04 SL 500 has had none. It makes one wonder whether the engineers in Stuttgart can safely predict which vehicles may be in danger of a malfunction. I would not be pleased to learn that my car's single most important safety system might fail me, just when I may need it most.[:(!]Dinoman

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
My mother's '03 E 320 has had two separate SBC brake recalls, yet my '04 SL 500 has had none. It makes one wonder whether the engineers in Stuttgart can safely predict which vehicles may be in danger of a malfunction. I would not be pleased to learn that my car's single most important safety system might fail me, just when I may need it most.[:(!]Dinoman

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
Sorry for the double post. My computer has been acting strangely the last few days. It sometimes makes me feel that I am starting to stutter! Dinoman

·
Registered
2003 SL500 AMG
83 Posts
i got my notice months ago....you can probably find the post here...my dealer also informed me of some total brake failures (saw the wreck in the yard)...the recall campaign took about three hours start to finish, my dealer is treating each vehicle as if it IS faulty just for safety sake.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This really ticks me off. Last year my dealer did the first recall. I almost pist in my pants, because I could not stop the day after the recall work was performed. I went through 2 stop signs and a red light. The dealer told me that my brakes were reset and it will take a while for the adaptive brakes to get use to you. I said BS.

So I took my car to Nashville to get the brakes repaired and for some magical reason the brakes work great and the Nashville dealer could not find anything wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts