Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My grandmother recently bought a new car and told me I could keep the profits if I sold her old one. Its a 1984 190E with 88k on the odometer. It recently had a rebuilt automatictranny, new brakes, fuel pump, and oil change. Only Cosmetic issues are some splitting interior pieces and faded paint on the roof. Mechanically all is sound except the AC is busted. Drives great.

I really have no idea what a fair asking price is for this or where is the best place to list it. Stick with the usual auto trader and ebay? Some pricing info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
if its an 84 it would be a 2.3. and yes pictures would help, as would your location. ie, these cars tend to go for more money here in florida than they do in california

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
The hell with selling it right not...pop the hood and take some pictures...if it has 2 belts on it don't sell it..fix it up all the way and keep that classic...those are few and far between ESP with low miles like that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I'm located in Pennsylvania and will post pictures as soon as I can. I have a C6 Z06 and go to college in NYC so one car works just fine considering I'm home about 5 months of the year.

As far as the AC is concerned, I was told that it was not worth fixing $ wise...why she bought a new car.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
As far as the AC is concerned, I was told that it was not worth fixing $ wise...why she bought a new car.
depends on what is wrong with it. if it just needs a compressor, you can get a rebuilt one on ebay for less than $200, and they are really easy to swap out. Lat time I did a compressor R&R on a 2.3 it took me about 30 min

·
Premium Member
'85 W201.601; '13 X204.651
744 Posts
More common is the solder joints in the CCU, in the dash. Repair with resoldering or replacement with a remanufactured one is easy and relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
More common is the solder joints in the CCU, in the dash. Repair with resoldering or replacement with a remanufactured one is easy and relatively inexpensive.
not to thread jack, but explain more on this...this is the first time i've heard about the solder joints in the Climate control unit going bad related to anything A/C

·
Premium Member
'85 W201.601; '13 X204.651
744 Posts
What's to explain? They are put together the same way all the boards in the cars are done. The solder gets old and cracks. There are several outfits that rebuild them by resoldering, just like many of the others in these cars. I know of at least 4 outfits that do that. It happened to me as well and resoldering took care of the problem. There's been some posts here I think but if not here, also at Peach Parts, on taking them apart and soldering.

·
Registered
1997 Dinan BMW M3; 1985 190e 2.3, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
1,382 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I'm located in Pennsylvania and will post pictures as soon as I can. I have a C6 Z06 and go to college in NYC so one car works just fine considering I'm home about 5 months of the year.

Where in PA are you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info on the A/C...I'll look into the issue and see if it'll be financially savvy to repair it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts