Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Mike and I am new to board.

I currently drive a 97 e420, but am starting research into buying 560sl(87-89); here's the question.

Am I better of buying low miles (< 30k) for around $28k

or

Do I compromise anything from getting mileage in the range of 50-70k for $10-$12k less?

Assuming other things are = (maintenance records, no accidents, etc.)

Any other tidbits and advice in my shopping stage is greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
1987 560SL
9 Posts
Hi Mike,

We bought a 1987 560SL last February with 52k miles on it. I don’t think you really compromise anything by buying the higher mileage car, as though 50-70k is high mileage for a Mercedes. The higher mileage car may need brake work sooner but other than that I can’t think of anything else that might need attention. A lot depends on what part of the country you live in and what type of exposure the car has had to the elements.

·
Registered
560 SL
3 Posts
Slavish attention to low mileage in Benzes not necessary. How the car was driven and look...

Slavish attention to low mileage in Benzes not necessary. How the car was driven and looked after are more important. If you really want to do your homework, including pricing, invest in
The SL Experience, by John Olson. One of the best refs on the market.

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello tglass,

I know what you mean. My interest in the low mileage is that it will a...

Hello tglass,

I know what you mean. My interest in the low mileage is that it will allow me to drive for a few years and then make a decision to keep or sell (I'll prob. keep).

I too am inteterested in a cherry with 27k miles. Again, not that I have concerns about 560 with 80, 90, 100k miles on the engine, but rather the appeal of enjoying the car and being able to offer for sale when she hits 40-50 k.

If you don't mind me asking, did you pay north or south of $30k?

Also, I did take your advice last week; I purchased both the newsletter and the book from Mr Olson.

Enjoy your baby,

mike

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello tglass,

I know what you mean. My interest in the low mileage is that it will a...

Hello tglass,

I know what you mean. My interest in the low mileage is that it will allow me to drive for a few years and then make a decision to keep or sell (I'll prob. keep).

I too am inteterested in a cherry with 27k miles. Again, not that I have concerns about 560 with 80, 90, 100k miles on the engine, but rather the appeal of enjoying the car and being able to offer for sale when she hits 40-50 k.

If you don't mind me asking, did you pay north or south of $30k?

Also, I did take your advice last week; I purchased both the newsletter and the book from Mr Olson.

Enjoy your baby,

mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts