Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok i could get my MAF replaced under warranty for $100 deductible plus any extra for the part cost, but there are aftermarket brand new MAF's on eBay for just under $100...

I'd love to be able to just grab one of them and put it in myself, anything wrong with these? Any reason why i'd want an OEM? I'm guessing it's only a little sensor, what the heck could possibly be the difference?

Thanks!

Here's the eBay page:
Aftermarket S320 MAF

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
My two cents,

I just would not buy any of those critical parts from "EBA". I would only buy from a reputable parts dealer-it does not mean the "stealer ship".

Martin

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
I'd research the manufacturer thoroughly if I were you. My personal experience is that every time I tried to save a few bucks by buying an aftermarket part on ebay it turned out to be utter crap. It's a little more expensive, but I stick with OE or OEM parts. They tend to be much better in the long run.

Some once said that going cheap on a Mercedes repair winds up being more expensive in the long run.

FYI, fastlane has S320 MAFs for $267

Select Product

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
as long as its made in germany it should be ok (not in china or taiwan etc.), there is lots of competition in europe in car parts market...i bought stuff like after market (factory looking) tail lights and other parts made in europe and quality was great, but thats tail lights not MAF that can cause all sorts of headaches...... on the other hand for $74 thats a bargain and realy there inst much to it just bit of plastic and big-as resistor.....

·
Registered
1992 500 SEL, 1996 E320, 1997 S500, 1998 E320 4MATIC,
21 Posts
I bought a MAF for my 96 E320 from a Canadian EBAY seller that looked ok on the outside and fit ok, but the check engine light came back on. After getting the correct Bosch part number from a different aftermarket source, everything was ok.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips, the one i was looking at is in fact "made in germany," so maybe it's OK... but first i'll get a quote on what it'll cost me if i bring it into a shop and have the warranty take care of it. I may get lucky and have the warranty cover 100% of the cost of the part but I won't bet on it... i figure the part is probably going to cost the shop around $500 and the warranty will only cover a certain portion of it. If i have to pay over $100 out of pocket, I'll most likely give the aftermarket "made in germany" one a shot, and apparently it's refundable with a warranty so not a whole lot to lose there.

BTW: I checked that site onlinewholesaleparts.com but that MAF was the other model, there are two MAF's for our cars depending on the engine number, apparently, and mine is the round plug, not the oval shaped plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts