Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2007 S550 4 Matic with LOW miles (5200). Since the car was rarely driven, what items should I pay particular attention to in order to determine overall condition? Car is heavily optioned and was an early delivery (August 2006). So far I have suspect batteries and tires. Any other items that I should be looking at? I'm a new member but have perused the board for the last couple of years....very informative! Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Two engine concerns - camshaft plugs may leak & idler gear for timing chain may wear prematurely MB released modified parts for each. Check PM.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to this forum and especially konigstiger's help, it looks like the major known issue with this production unit is a bad idler gear. I'm assuming that repair runs approximately $7000 at a dealer. The vehicle currently only has 5200 miles, however it will almost certainly experience a failed idler gear at some point as the mileage is increased. What does this impending failure do to the current value of the car? Is it generally considered to be worth $7000 less?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm also looking at a 2007 S550 which was delivered in july 2006... the following have been done according to carfax... does this raise any concerns? any help is appreciated.

Maintenance inspection completed
Drive belt tensioner pulley replaced

Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Steering angle sensor replaced

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm also looking at a 2007 S550 which was delivered in july 2006... the following have been done according to carfax... does this raise any concerns? any help is appreciated.

Maintenance inspection completed
Drive belt tensioner pulley replaced

Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Steering angle sensor replaced
Your biggest issue is a possible bad idler gear in the timing case. Improperly hardened gears were installed in engines with serial numbers up to 2739..30 088611. It's a very expensive fix. I would obtain the engine serial number before I buy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts