Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im always hearing about how un reliable the cvt box is in the b (and a) class. Just for a change has any one got anything positive to say
?
I'll start by saying my 08 b200 has done 62000 miles and just about to have its second cvt serice, its been a joy to drive and has had no faults what so ever :+)

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,813 Posts
Come here after your next oil change. I hope it's the same place that did the first. Some people have had issues with shops not getting the exact proper oil level.

In the past, the biggest issue has been the cost to repair. Usually the TCU, but sometimes the valve body. There are more places that do the repair now, so you don't have to spend $2982579287 at the dealer now.

·
Registered
B200 5sp, Peugeot 404C Injection
296 Posts
100,000 km is a good start. My B200 has 290,000 km on it (but it's a 5 speed).

·
Outstanding Contributor
A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
1,056 Posts
I'm only just getting my A200 (2006 CVT) to 50,000 miles ...

Had a transmission service four years ago (at 33k), about to have a second one in a couple of months.
Car was, and now back on a Service Care Plan, so all done by Mercedes (feeling brave, I did engine oil and filter last service by myself, but this year a few complicated (for me) items are due - sparks, brake fluid, ATF, so it's back on its care plan :ROFLMAO: Next year coolant and fuel filter (tank out job) are due, so it'll stay put for three years.

Hopefully, by taking care of CVT (like never shifting into gear, until the revs drop below 1000rpm) and keeping to recommended service schedule, it'll last a few more years ... particularly now, as I started driving the car a bit more: from about 4k a year to 14k or so, since we moved to the sticks seven months ago.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
7,968 Posts
I very surprised to hear that you are planning to remove coolant and fuel filter (tank out ) at ~ 50,000 miles or a bit more..Why tank out ? Seems like a huge expense for nothing..

My coolant is original from the fall of 2005....They say that it's good for at least 15 years..(from my manual..)

At what intervals do you change the CVT fluid ?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,056 Posts
Both fuel filter (service 11) and coolant (service13) are due at 250,000 km / 155k miles or 15 years.
Next year my car will be 15 ...

CVT (service 20) is due every 60,000km / 37.5k miles or 4-5 years (4yrs in later editions of service schedule).
It's been 4 years, even though only about 17-18k miles.

The good things is - it won't cost me any more, than a standard service - that's the advantage of this Service Care Plan: all additional items, according to MB schedule, are included. I pay a fixed monthly charge for three services over three years.

As to the fuel filter replacement - as far as I know, the tank has to come out as the pump / filter assembly is inside.
I might be wrong - mechanical side of things is not my strong point :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2008 B170
165 Posts
I did my own CVT fluid and filter change at 50,000km, and plan to do it every 50km. Wasn’t particularly difficult if you are mechanically minded and invest in a couple of tools. Have now done 15,000 km since that first change and all is going well.

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,813 Posts
I know there's usually a fuel strainer at the bottom of the pump, but I'm pretty sure the fuel filter would be between the tank and engine. I know the diesel fuel filter is in the engine compartment near the firewall.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
7,968 Posts
I agree and seem to remember a member posting a pic of the B fuel filter (a black round canister shape..) very close to the fuel tank and detachable without the tank removal.

Different fuels and different filters over the years, so I'm not sure if all filters are in the same location on all of the B's over this many years....The dealer would definitely have that info..

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,056 Posts
Just got my Service Care Plan docs in the post ... will find out soon enough ;)
From memory there's main filter and pump assembly inside and there's a secondary fuel filter (easily accessible), fitted to cars supplied in some countries. Pretty sure UK is not on that list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts