Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
just got a 99 ML430 with 10K miles , in and out are mint. Only down side is the car was parked over 6 month.
So I'm planning to do following,

change engine oil. (Moible 1 0W-40)
auto tranny's filter and oil. (Any recommendation?)
Diff oil. (Any recommendation?)
NGK plugs.
OEM air filter.
Bosch O2 sensors.
Clean MAF with CRC cleaner.
OEM fuel filter.
Fan clutch.

Anything else needs to be done?
Thank you

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dang and I thought I did well to find my '99 ML430 with 36k miles on it! You might not have to do much w/it given that it only has 10k miles on it. I would read the new members sticky. There's a lot of good information there.

Welcome to the club and enjoy your vehicle! I love mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang and I thought I did well to find my '99 ML430 with 36k miles on it! You might not have to do much w/it given that it only has 10k miles on it. I would read the new members sticky. There's a lot of good information there.

Welcome to the club and enjoy your vehicle! I love mine.
I have read the new members sticky already, just want to make sure my list covers all necessary parts.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
My recommendation..

Getting the truck running smoothly initially, without causing any major malfunction; new battery (for sure), amping up the old fuel is the trickiest since the additives (like BK44, Techron, Lucas) will not put in the components you need, and that mess is going to have to be pushed out thru the injectors and some contaminents are going to transfer to the crankcase early (next 2nd oil change in maybe 500-1000 miles), fresh new tranny fluid prudent, a yes, with new oil make sure you use correct fleece filter and not paper aftermarket filter, and contemplate adding a moly or stabilzer like Lucas for added value 1st oil change and to move any sludge out (yes), fresh fuel filter which if I recall will be a updated item, yes. cleaning the MAF prudent but use the correct procedure, changing plugs (wouldn't be my thing), check for leakage under the windshield washer pump, check for power steering groan/whine (replace with updated reservoir and o-ring, with new c-ring, and fresh MB power steering oil - and MUST use correct bleeding procedure), e-fan might need a drop of lubrication if it gets noisy (need small hands for that one).

Whether you have already bought the car or not. I would run the car's VIN for all recalls and/or recall work - and depending on when it was made that year, there are going to be more than 1 or 2.

With the recalls and any recall service work done - you can check with the dealer to see what still might be valid for N/C service, and the rest of the list you need to be intimately aware of for pending issues.

There were tranny control issues back then, especially earlier in that model year, that were hold-over's from 1st year '98. There were also common voltage regulator issues, power steering reservoir o-ring leak issues, tranny connector gasket/leak issues. front stabilzer bushings squeaking/updated parts, , - if I recall correctly.

Nothing killer, but a tangle of small misc stuff from early years.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting the truck running smoothly initially, without causing any major malfunction; new battery (for sure), amping up the old fuel is the trickiest since the additives (like BK44, Techron, Lucas) will not put in the components you need, and that mess is going to have to be pushed out thru the injectors and some contaminents are going to transfer to the crankcase early (next 2nd oil change in maybe 500-1000 miles), fresh new tranny fluid prudent, a yes, with new oil make sure you use correct fleece filter and not paper aftermarket filter, and contemplate adding a moly or stabilzer like Lucas for added value 1st oil change and to move any sludge out (yes), fresh fuel filter which if I recall will be a updated item, yes. cleaning the MAF prudent but use the correct procedure, changing plugs (wouldn't be my thing), check for leakage under the windshield washer pump, check for power steering groan/whine (replace with updated reservoir and o-ring, with new c-ring, and fresh MB power steering oil - and MUST use correct bleeding procedure), e-fan might need a drop of lubrication if it gets noisy (need small hands for that one).

Whether you have already bought the car or not. I would run the car's VIN for all recalls and/or recall work - and depending on when it was made that year, there are going to be more than 1 or 2.

With the recalls and any recall service work done - you can check with the dealer to see what still might be valid for N/C service, and the rest of the list you need to be intimately aware of for pending issues.

There were tranny control issues back then, especially earlier in that model year, that were hold-over's from 1st year '98. There were also common voltage regulator issues, power steering reservoir o-ring leak issues, tranny connector gasket/leak issues. front stabilzer bushings squeaking/updated parts, , - if I recall correctly.

Nothing killer, but a tangle of small misc stuff from early years.

Keep the faith !
WOW, thanks a lot!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Please update your profile. What region do you live in? If the truck was parked for 6 month I would take a look at the tires or have them checked, they may still look great but could have some issue.

auto tranny's filter and oil. (Any recommendation?)
Diff oil. (Any recommendation?)
Use the recommended fluid.
Why do you want to change the O2 sensors?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts