Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?] Aftermarket Alarm Systems

Has anyone with a C-Class installed an aftermarket alarm system on top of the factory security system?

I am curious about the type of alarm and how well the two work together.

As an example, I installed had a Clifford on my BMW and some major features conflicted with BMWs programming - such as Clifford's NightVision versus BMWs Daytime Running Lamps. End result, no NightVision.

Please share. I am considering one for the newly ordered ( [:D] ) C320 and would not want similar issues. Thanks.

-SonOfC320

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
I don't think I've seen anyone with this...

Has anyone with a C-Class installed an aftermarket alarm system on top of the factory security system?
Personally, I too was wearly of conflicts between the Smartkey setup and an aftermarket alarm. Additionally, with the multiplex wiring, fibre optics in this car, I don't think that I would want a shop to be running wiring all over the place. That's why I opted for the factory alarm system instead. It works quite well! [:)]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drew-

Yes, I know what you are saying. It could get messy and problematic with the ...

Drew-

Yes, I know what you are saying. It could get messy and problematic with the fiber optic. I imagine, as long as the components for headlight light control, door open indicator, fuel pump/starter control, trunk release, window control, and horn control, are of electro-mechanical nature then they should not hae to touch the fiber optics. But it would be a "challenge" that one should have experience with.

Other than the factory alarm on the car that comes included with the base car, was there an option that I missed while ordering that would have supplemented the included (stock) system?

I am not certain, but I do not think that the factory system comes with sensors detecting glass, vibration, or motion. These are some of the reasons for the aftermarket alarm consideration.

In the Northeast US, people are rough enough to pull up at night with a flatbed and drag your car away. They also are not shy about breaking windows to take contents of the car, or bumping/dinging your car while parked.

This is why I am looking to see if there have been any successful / failed installs.

-SonOfC320

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Hi, SonofC:

Do people in NA still react to car alarms?

Here in Europe they don't, s...

Hi, SonofC:

Do people in NA still react to car alarms?

Here in Europe they don't, so few people use them in the first place (I don't even have one installed - it's an extra over here).

My personal aftermarket security system:

- Never leave anything in the car (not even a grocery bag - criminals don't know what it might contain - nor a coat, as some car owners use it to hide valuables underneath)

- If the car gets stolen, have the number of your insurance guy ready.

It has worked well for me so far.

·
Registered
E500S4, C240; Sold ML320, '72 280SE, '67 280SL, '86 300E, '87 300SDL
383 Posts
the factory alarm has all of that...

It does not have a motion sensor, but a Glass breaking sensor [I learn that from Drew, the key-chain trick ;-) ], and towing sensor (that's what the switch in the console is for). I think it is pretty comprehensive, plus I don't think it can be hotwired. I think the next thing could be Lojack. Like Paquito said people don't really pay much attention to alarms anyways. I guess you could install a pager to the alarm horn and that way it would not interfere with any other of the car's components.

If the car still gets stolen out of a parking lot, then take a deep breath and call cops and insurance. You might also want to call a cab too [:D]

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Addendum:

In fact, if my car gets stolen, I hope it won't be found again. So I wouldn't...

Addendum:

In fact, if my car gets stolen, I hope it won't be found again. So I wouldn't get any of these GPS-driven localisation gadgets. It's somehow not an attractive thought, having to drive a car that's been "contaminated" in this manner.

As long as the car is relatively new, insurance here will pay more than one would get on the market, which enables you to change to a new model at modest cost. For a very old car in good condition, of course, you'll never get a fair compensation - but hopefully nobody will steal that, as the Mercedes drivers in Albania and Ukraine (understandably) prefer new models.

So, for the time being, I'll stick to my system. If ever someone smashes my window and steals my Comand system, leaving me with a mess of glass splinters, I might reconsider. [;)]

·
Registered
ML320 C230 380SL
69 Posts
Re: save your $$ and move to better neighborhood :)

I am curious about the type of alarm and how well the two work together.

As an example, I installed had a Clifford on my BMW and some major features conflicted with BMWs programming - such as Clifford's NightVision versus BMWs Daytime Running Lamps. End result, no NightVision.

Please share. I am considering one for the newly ordered ( [:D] ) C320 and would not want similar issues. Thanks.

-SonOfC320

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. Best practices include not leaving anything of value in the car. It also incl...

I agree. Best practices include not leaving anything of value in the car. It also includes not pulling the cargo cover closed or locking the glove box.

However, New York City and its surrounding suburbs, are prone to theft. I've just been conditioned to guarding myself and everything I care about. Hence, the aftermarket alarm is one of the additional layers of protection. Whether or not people react, it's just making it easy on MB thieves to have the known factory one only.

Lojack is not worth it in NYC since: 1> The tall buildings impede the signal, 2> The thieves have a method to easily block the LoJack signal, and 3> The thieves usually steal when they know you will not notice for 2-3 hours. Mainly though, I don't want the car back after it has been stolen.

The tint is just for looks, but the additional alarm is just a necessity coming to NYC.

Anyone in the NY area have these?

-SonOfC320

·
Registered
ML320 C230 380SL
69 Posts
Re: What additional functionality do you want?

I agree. Best practices include not leaving anything of value in the car. It also includes not pulling the cargo cover closed or locking the glove box.

However, New York City and its surrounding suburbs, are prone to theft. I've just been conditioned to guarding myself and everything I care about. Hence, the aftermarket alarm is one of the additional layers of protection. Whether or not people react, it's just making it easy on MB thieves to have the known factory one only.

Lojack is not worth it in NYC since: 1> The tall buildings impede the signal, 2> The thieves have a method to easily block the LoJack signal, and 3> The thieves usually steal when they know you will not notice for 2-3 hours. Mainly though, I don't want the car back after it has been stolen.

The tint is just for looks, but the additional alarm is just a necessity coming to NYC.

Anyone in the NY area have these?

-SonOfC320
In Boston - They steal the cars and park them for the night to see if they have lojack / gps then pick em clean later..
last 2 times I street parked in NYC
1. my car was pushed forward (in park) in front of a hydrant so the perp could take my legal spot..i was ticketed
2. my window was smashed when i cheaped out and parked overnight on the street instead of paying the $35 for overnite parking..it was a cold ride home.
...but NY rocks..best city but tuff on cars.. and now when I visit I let the valets steal my coins instead of getting the car vandalized on the street..cheers -maybe a hungry junkyard dog in the back seat..? doug

·
Registered
2001 W203 C240
79 Posts
Re: Re: What additional functionality do you want?

In Boston - They steal the cars and park them for the night to see if they have lojack / gps then pick em clean later..
last 2 times I street parked in NYC
1. my car was pushed forward (in park) in front of a hydrant so the perp could take my legal spot..i was ticketed
so your car was pushed an ENTIRE parking space forward.

any damage to the transmission?

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
G'd almighty - is this how you guys live?

This sounds like Albania or Ukraine, not the...

This sounds like Albania or Ukraine, not the U.S. of A.

[V]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: G'd almighty - is this how you guys live? This sounds like Albania or Ukraine, not the

This sounds like Albania or Ukraine, not the U.S. of A.

[V]
Just another sunny day in paradise...

Seriously, the commotion and diversity of the city sometimes numbs people to questionable activity and fosters a greater sense of individual privacy. As such, an opportunity is made for theives and vandals.

So now you guys are understanding why some people seek supplemental protection?

- Sonofc320

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Re: Re: G'd almighty - is this how you guys live? This sounds like Albania or Ukraine, not the

Just another sunny day in paradise...

Seriously, the commotion and diversity of the city sometimes numbs people to questionable activity and fosters a greater sense of individual privacy. As such, an opportunity is made for theives and vandals.

So now you guys are understanding why some people seek supplemental protection?

- Sonofc320
Supplemental protection?!? I'd put the car on a leash, take it with me and hide it in my bedroom.

But you probably get used to it, to a certain degree.

[B)]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts