Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes 300sd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The technology has been around for awhile, but I just found out about it last week. Looks promising. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has experience with it. This is a link I was sent ( Water Car Run on WATER+Fuel. Hydrogen Save Gas=FREE ENERGY!). I only put this link on here for those of you not familiar with the technology. There are plenty of other sites out there concerning HHO and how to build you own Hydrogen processor.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
After not assuming, because of the web page's title, it's a scam, it is obviously MPG 'magic' which appears every single time fuel prices go nuts.

Thanks to the WWW, it merely is done with shinier mirrors.

While there can be advantages to water injection, it is in highly modified engines in which pre-detonation is a problem. It has nothing to do with MPG.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
I've actually thought of something similar to this and was going to/may tinker with doing it at some point. The claims on the site are obivously misleading and don't follow any logical reasoning that I can see.

Ideally, what one would be able to do is create some sort of compact electrolosis module that separated water into hydrogen and oxygen. This could be accomplished by means of a platinum electrode with some sort of capturing device/storage tank for the hydrogen, and a copper electrode with the same setup of tank for the oxygen. 20-30volts would be all you'd need to run the setup. You'd then get twice the hydrogen gas for every molecule of oxygen, and could combust the hydrogen using the oxygen as a oxidizer.

The trick here is that the water used in the system has to be slightly acidic, either by means of adding an alkaline or similar to be of any use in the electrolosis process.

Ah, but therein lies the problem- the electrolosis process itself. Any amount of energy you would put into the system would yeild only a fraction of that energy as surplus- a barely useable amount. To create the 20 volts from an alternator, say, would require more energy from an amount of hydrogen that the rig wouldn't be capable of producing, nevermind having enough potential energy to drive a vehicle.

You could power the process by means of a battery charged every night, but then you may as well drive an electric car. It certainly wouldn't be as efficient as one either.

·
Banned
MBZ 300SD
2,949 Posts
It looks like is a misunderstanding here,
Nobody is saying that it will run on water.
I have tried years back the evaporator and it made an improvement on the consumption and is similar with water injection.
The HHO is similar with propane/methane injection that is improving the burn in the cylinder with the exception that you do not have to carry propane tanks but water.
Preheating the fuel will definitely give you an improved mileage.
I will put together an electrolzer jar and give details.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Preheating the fuel will definitely give you an improved mileage.
I will put together an electrolzer jar and give details.
Now this is strange....I don't know about all 126's, but the 560's have a fuel cooler, not a heater???!!!

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL / 1991 300te 4matic / 2000 e320 4matic wagon
363 Posts
I saw a Mythbusters on this topic a while a back and they tried one of these things and it did its job by making hydrogen, but not nearly enough to run an car. I can't remeber if they even got the car to run w/o any modifications on hydrogen from a tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've used some electrolysis to get pure elemental gasses before, but mine was not for my car, it was one BIG firework, haha two liter bottle of hydrogen and oxygen gives a pretty nicely sized kerplop. But yesh, this took a very long time to do, and the efficiency had to be less than 25%, even with an improved way of getting the gasses, I don't see this being much good at all.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
HYDROPOWER - How long do you think it will be before you are banned? I give it two hours.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
I am waiting for them for come out with a car that runs on "STUPID".

I'll be first in line to buy one of those.:)

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I think the research that was done had some promise...ie, hydrogen as a catalyst to improve efficiency of a standard IC engine. There is a lot of interesting work going on w/ making cells more efficient through varying designs/materials/voltage regulation etc, etc..

If I didn't have 18 million projects going on I'd have fiddled w/ this already..

Jonathan

·
Registered
19 Posts
very interesting indeed. There is no free power here. HHO does nothing to improve mpg, but what it to claimed to be able to allow the engine to run very, very lean without over heating.

I'm not so sure if this is a rational claim. Any car can be tuned to run lean and improve MPG with or without HHO. Another thing is that the alternator in the car produce a fix amount of current. The voltage regulator will dissipate the excess current. Therefore adding a device that takes about 10amps won't really take that much of power.

Anyways, I'm keeping my eyes open to see what will happen next.

:cool:

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
again, this is more then just running lean, this is adding an element to the process where by the hydrogen makes the combustion process more efficient... std IC engine are horribly inefficient as you well know;-)

jonathan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts