Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Still doing what I can to clean up my newly purchased beauty and one thing that has caught my eye are all the scratches and scrapes on each one of the door scuff plates. There are 2 per door and it appears mostly the inner scuff plates take a beating every time you get in and out of the car. From what I could tell, they are aluminum attached to the plastic trim piece color coded to the interior. I do not know whether the scuff plate has a protective coating of some kind designed to maintain the finish.

My question is, has anyone on here tried to and successfully sanded down and polished their scuff plates? I was thinking you could wet sand them with 800 to 2000 grit to get most of the deeper scratches out and then flitz polish them. If anyone has done this and it worked out, please post your suggestions and results.

Thanks!!

Ted :thumbsup:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,861 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I remember seeing some comments in the past that they are just a plastic with a very thin metal, so polishing them will simply remove the metal and show the plastic. But let us know if you try and it works.

Also if you think about replacement and don't have plates with illuminated "Mercedes" you may want to consider upgrading to it, looks really nice - was something like a $1000 option new, but should be much cheaper on the Internet

·
Registered
203 Posts
Actually I've just tried to polish mine using very fine 1500 sand paper - the plates are basically painted plastic, the "metal look" cover is so thin it comes off immediately. So polishing is definitely not going to work.

But painting may - there are "chrome look" etc paints, when applied correctly they could produce (very poor) durability comparable to what was put in a brand new Mercedes. If anyone gives it a try, please let us know how it works. Also maybe Mercedes upgraded the process and later models W221 are better?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi There:

I did a little more research on this and did not find anything else on it. I would assume George993's experience is good enough for me and confirms I am not going to try this for fear of making the sills look worse than there do right now. I found a set on Ebay that look a while lot better than mine for that I emailed the seller to confirm the trim is in fact black and not dark gray.

If I end up getting those replacement sills and installing them, I might try and carefully buff out one of my original sills to see just how much polishing it will handle before going thru that thin finish. To me, the sills fell like they are metal and not coated plastic but only time will tell.

I will post my results.

Ted

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I just received the replacement door sills and even though they are somewhat scuffed on the fronts, the rears were in perfect shape. I installed everything in about 5 mins so the swap is simple. Just don't yank them out or you run the risk of breaking something.

So now that I have the old sills out, I may attempt lightly wet sanding and polishing the passenger front sill since it was not too bad. If I am successful in removing some of the minor scratches without polishing thru the thin cosmetic "stainless" finish then I will judge whether to have a go at the minor scuffs on the two front replacement sills.

Am I getting too attached to my new car yet??

Ted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts