Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone tried Prestone/other 5 yr Coolant (instead of the Benz Coolant)

Has anyone tried Prestone coolant/other brand 5 year coolant with any Benz esp 140 S class?
Mine has the Benz coolant. I want to use Prestone/other 5 yr coolant but te dealer keeps saying dont do that, it will make a jello like substance as you can never get the Benz coolant out even if you flush well and Benz coolant with 5 year coolant gives "jello"

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since by now 15 people have viewed my post and none has replied, I take it that no one uses anything other than the Benz coolant

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
Yes, I have used the Havoline Dexcool 5 year 150k miles "red" coolant in my MB, and both my Lexuses. It works fine, no problems. The Prestone is similar, you can use it if you wish. The Stealership is full of you know what, giving you that "Jello" hocus pocus.

·
Registered
S600, 350SL, C300
124 Posts
50 years ago we put colored alcohol from glass jugs in our radiators and an occasional jolt of water pump lubricant. Cast iron and steel did not seem to mind. Then along came aluminum and a host of other alloys, some with a copper or berrylium base. Commercial antifreeze did not handle the transition very well and a lot of cooling systems and engines were ruined by incompatible antifreeze. Yes, I have cleaned out the "jello" (actually an aluminum hydroxide compound)from MB cooling systems and cursed the green stuff that caused it, but that was a few years ago. Mercedes was a pioneer in alloys and developed their own antifreeze formulation that was compatible with the alloys and sealants in their cooling systems. I have always used MB coolant in my Benzes.

Times change. With MB antifreeze at $24 a gallon, alloys firmly established in all modern engines, and MB's tilt towards the environmental issues of antifreeze, I am seriously thinking about a change. My next flush and fill will probably be with a reputeable national brand formulated for alloy engines with a guarantee and the experience to back it up. TIFWIW

·
Registered
Silver 1998 S500
24 Posts
After quite a bit of research recently, I've confirmed that the coolant marketed by MB is manufactured by Zerex. It's marketed as Zerex G-05 and has been the factory fill for MB since 1984 I believe. I found it in a local Autozone for approx $10.00/gallon.
The coolant jug confirms that G-05 meets MB specifications. BTW: it's the same color as factory: yellow.

·
Registered
s500 Coupe
44 Posts
After quite a bit of research recently, I've confirmed that the coolant marketed by MB is manufactured by Zerex. It's marketed as Zerex G-05 and has been the factory fill for MB since 1984 I believe. I found it in a local Autozone for approx $10.00/gallon.
The coolant jug confirms that G-05 meets MB specifications. BTW: it's the same color as factory: yellow.
So can I use this coolant to fill as needed w/o flushing the original MB in the car?

·
Registered
Silver 1998 S500
24 Posts
If you are referring to "topping off" the factory coolant, yes. This is the exact coolant that MB uses at the factory as well as the coolant you buy from a dealer in the grey MB jug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts