Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
S500, ML320, C240
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
25 years of driving Mercedes & BMWs, I finally had it with the filthy dust from factory brand brake pads. I tried the AKEBONO premium grade pads on one of the MLs, it is as clean as it can be, no more dirty wheels. For the past 6 month of using it, I couldn't tell any difference in brake performances, but I wasn't driving very hard with it.

My question is, has anyone had any first hand experiences with AKEBONO pads? What's you opinion? I intend to change all our Mercedes with AKEBONO premium grade pads when the factory brand pads are done.

Thank you for any advise.

·
Registered
2000 s430
13 Posts
ordered some from advance auto online got them today will report on them soon also got a oil filter and its so small got the pads for 98 and the filter around 15 got 30% off instant savings and free shiping now i just got to put them on

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Togaman, check that oil filter after you receive it and most likely it has a paper/celluose filter element suitable for shorter oil change intervals 3K-5K, and not really the filter recommended for long oil change 10K intervals or and not best recommendation for synthetic oil spec'd for the ML.

The Mann flecce filter (OE) is like $16 from other online sources, most same sources have free shipping policy over $50 order etc.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
The filters from Advance that I know are fleece are the Purolator and K&N.
Both are repackaged Mann filters.

Saw a Fram a couple of years ago and it was paper. Horrible quality, the glue to to seal
the pleats was not even completed 360º around the top and bottom.

·
Registered
94 S320 4speed
240 Posts
akebono

25 years of driving Mercedes & BMWs, I finally had it with the filthy dust from factory brand brake pads. I tried the AKEBONO premium grade pads on one of the MLs, it is as clean as it can be, no more dirty wheels. For the past 6 month of using it, I couldn't tell any difference in brake performances, but I wasn't driving very hard with it.

My question is, has anyone had any first hand experiences with AKEBONO pads? What's you opinion? I intend to change all our Mercedes with AKEBONO premium grade pads when the factory brand pads are done.

Thank you for any advise.
Not good. Clean your wheels regularly.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Got mine from TireRack a couple years back for the fronts of my E430. Love them. They stop great and no dust.

Now, for the ML and the rear of the E (brakes were done last summer), I purposefully stayed with the newer "improved" OEM pads which are almost as clean as the Akebonos.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Purolator has both a paper and a fleece, the under $20 filters for sure are paper - however, I asked togoaman to check his package after he receives it so he knows exactly what he got before he puts it in.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
My OEM pads are squeeling like stuck pigs. Applied liberal amounts of silicon grease a few weeks back, which helped until it got cold around here.
I'm done with that. Time to kill the shrill.

Front and rear Akebono pads are ordered, and will be here early next week.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
I won't use Mercedes branded pads again, either. Lots of squealing and lots of black dust. I think that my latest Mercedes pads were just cheap Mintex pads at triple the price. In the past, the Mercedes pads used to be better.

I plan on buying PosiQuiet semi-metallics next.

DelJ

ps Everyone: Please indicate the type/model as well as the pad manufacturer. For example, Akebono Euro versus Akebono ProAct.

My OEM pads are squeeling like stuck pigs. Applied liberal amounts of silicon grease a few weeks back, which helped until it got cold around here.
I'm done with that. Time to kill the shrill.

Front and rear Akebono pads are ordered, and will be here early next week.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
With ML-V8's, and a good habit to get into, is the MB brake goo, which is a high temperature silocon (a bit more thick than a grease) - that will stop squealing do a forum search for the specific posts.

·
Registered
2000 ML55
73 Posts
Akebonos

I put a set all of Euro EUR847s and EUR874s on my '00 ML55 along with some Zimmerman Rotors, 15,000 miles ago.

Very clean. Very easy on the rotors. Wearing exceptionally well. They squeal a bit on reverse when cold even with proper preparation and installation.

Wear sensor probe holes didn't match up and I called them. They sent me another set and told me I could just drill (carefully) holes that would allow the sensors to mount correctly.

I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I put a set all of Euro EUR847s and EUR874s on my '00 ML55 along with some Zimmerman Rotors, 15,000 miles ago.
They are the model numbers I'm putting on this week. Did you use the uber special M Series brake grease when you installed them?

FWIW, Advance Auto has these models at $79 Front and $65 Rear until December 18 via their web site.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
355 Posts
I have run OE, Hawk and Wagner pads and recently installed Akebono Euro (from Tirerack). Fitment was perfect and the kit included a wear sensor.

The ceramic Akebonos produce the least dust by far. Pedal feel and stopping power are good

·
Registered
2000 ML55
73 Posts
They are the model numbers I'm putting on this week. Did you use the uber special M Series brake grease when you installed them?

FWIW, Advance Auto has these models at $79 Front and $65 Rear until December 18 via their web site.
I used the tube of lube they came with, looks like it has some graphite in it. I figure they would know what works with their pads. Also, I just rotated rear tires and they are still nice and free-moving.

I also have a tube of blue goop that I got at the neighborhood Napa for bonding and insulating from vibration, the shoe and shim. It is like an uncured latex that is supposed to help work to dampen vibration that causes squeal. Can't recall the proper name but the guys at the counter helped me find it.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Here's the goo

Here is the MB pdf, it's a counterintuitive procedure applying to the sides of the pads. I add a schemar on the backplate if bare metal, but that's me.

A lifetime supply in MB tube is like $16, they also have the chinzy 1-application packs.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Very descriptive name: "Brake Paste M Class"
Subtext: "How did we manage to totally over-engineer this vehicle and still have brakes that squeal like a banshee?" Recall? Nah, give 'em some goo to try at home.

I used the tube of lube they came with, looks like it has some graphite in it. I figure they would know what works with their pads.
Thanks Trashman. I'm with you on that.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Depends on the pad. When I had my current set of Mercedes branded pads installed on my ML430, I watched the mechanic apply a liberal amount of goo. It did not stop the pads from squealing, even though they re-installed the pads a second time. The goo will not necessarily cure the squealing problems of bad pads.

DelJ

With ML-V8's, and a good habit to get into, is the MB brake goo, which is a high temperature silocon (a bit more thick than a grease) - that will stop squealing do a forum search for the specific posts.

·
Registered
S500, ML320, C240
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your response.

Sorry I didn't specify the pad #, I had it done by a shop, didn't see the package. But I was told they have different grades, the one I need for stopping the dust is a ceramic pad from their higher grade pad.

So, MB came out with a newer improved pad that's clean?

·
Registered
S500, ML320, C240
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for your response.

Sorry I didn't specify the pad #, I had it done by a shop, didn't see the package. But I was told they have different grades, the one I need for stopping the dust is a ceramic pad from their higher grade pad.

So, MB came out with a newer improved pad that's clean?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts