Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone test drive the W164 YET?, I only got in it at the NY auto show. I love the outside but is it me or does the inside feels tighter in space? whats your thoughts? I wanted to get input from us W163 drivers.

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
Not yet--but I wonder if Mercedes will suffer a similar problem that Nissan suffered when the redesigned Altima, looked just as good as the Maxima for less money. I wonder if the Mercedes Benz execs will go through the same thing with the new ML and the new G-class. I cant imagine the G doing much more than the ML, and bet it wont look much diffrent[|)]

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2008 GL550, 2008 Ford F250 Superduty
815 Posts
i got invited to the w164 drive event here in SF. i hear it will be similar to the mercedes drive events but this one will only feature the new ml. there's a road course you can drive and an offroad course too.

for details, go here:

http://www.mclassroadrally.com/default.asp

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
blackshark - 4/3/2005 8:00 AM

anyone test drive the W164 YET?, I only got in it at the NY auto show. I love the outside but is it me or does the inside feels tighter in space? whats your thoughts? I wanted to get input from us W163 drivers.
Inside feels same to slightly larger (except cargo area is slightly smaller). Took a short drive in a 350 (Black/Ash, trim package, Nav, trailer hitch, power folding mirrors, heated seats, etc.-$48k) yesterday. No big surprises or complaints--felt tight, solid and quiet (engine note a little too subdued, IMO). Shifter is easy to get used to, shifts themselves were smooth (didn't try manual shifting). The Nav is just okay as far as ease of use. Brake pedal slightly mushy, but brakes are fine.

Power of the 350 seems "adequate." More would be better, but wait for the new generation 4-valve V8s (next year?) if you want more power.

Go to the W164 Forum here for more info.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
1,126 Posts
look carefully at their "offroad" course :)

And tell me what kind of stuff you really get to do ;-)

·
Registered
99 ML 320 (dearly departed), 03 E 500, 05 FX35 (Sold), 07 Cayenne S (Sold), 06 Cayenne Turbo
616 Posts
I have a test for tomorrow at 6pm, There is a really nice road that we can take and I will hit all marks (dirt, concrete, straight, and twist roads). I will keep you posted.

Cheers
~The new Guy

·
Registered
2000 e320 / 2008 BMW X3
13 Posts
I test drove a silver/ash ML350 at MB Huntington, LI and walked away very impressed. The interior is a huge upgrade in quality over the W163. The W163 offered a real truck with the luxury around it while the W164 offers luxury throughout. The ride is much smoother and the steering is more responsive.

My lease on a 2002 ML320 is up in June. I was up in the air about the W164 and was contemplating getting one of the last 2005s. After driving the W164, I realize that so much has changed for the better. I expect delivery of the W164 just before the lease expires.

Pricing was a bit higher than expected but in the end I really feel there is a difference. I went to the NY car show last week and really compared quality points (body parts & spacing, consistency, material look and feel, doorhandles, overall visual) between an X5, the RX330 & a sliced in half 400h, Cadillac truck (envoy size), Infiniti and the ML. The ML wins hands down.

I must say that my impression from Lexus is that they are the imitator and not the innovator. Even their "race car" displayed a "Lexus" engine that was nothing more than a modded 350 chevrolet. If you want to buy a RX400, save your money and buy a Toyota Highlander.

- JT

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
63 Posts
Test drove an obsidian black ML 350 with ash about 2 weeks ago. Currently own a '99 ML 320 and the new ml is definetly alot different. First of all the ride quality and steering are totally different. Car lovers will really like the new ML handling and drive qualities. As for me I am a truck lover and love the W 163 harsh ride and solid feeling. But overall the new W 164 is a really awesome vehicle with the interior seeming more refined and bigger. The new MCS II is really cool with sirius and the I-pod hookup. Mercedes was very smart on refining this vehicle to compete with the ML competitors. Overall the W 164 is a really awesome vehicle besides the fact it feels like a car now. But then again most SUV drivers today want a car like feel instead of a harsh off roader because they would not dare take it off road. But overall the new quality and design is really cool!!

·
Registered
99 ML 320 (dearly departed), 03 E 500, 05 FX35 (Sold), 07 Cayenne S (Sold), 06 Cayenne Turbo
616 Posts
I'd have to agree with Jarhead...The W164 is a car now. The ride is smooth and the handling is easier, a more fun ride.

I don't think I will be getting the 350 to replace my 320 though. I wasn't convinced that its worth the extra hassle of the Benz SUV.

I unfairly compared the entire experience to my FX 35 and the 350 is not in the same ballpark as far as ride and handling. I was looking for "umph" when I hit the accel. The braking system was not really what I like either, but i am sure I can get that changed of need be. To me the braking system was stiff, after switching the ride to a more "car/sedan" feel the brakes felt like they should be in a Range Rover; just too strong for the car.

I am waiting on the 500 to arrive (Two weeks is the rumor) when that comes in I will make my choice between the W164 and the Cayenne S.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts