Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my AC fan is on, there is some funny sounding noise comming out. It Just came back today after being gone for several months. It almost sounds like something is stuck in there. Like each fan blade is very lightly hitting a piece of plastic.

I think it is probably the blower motor. Anyone ever replaced this? Is it an easy do-it yourself job?

Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
While doing B-Service dealer drooped windshield wiper screw cover into fan. It started making noise. They replaced it in 30 mins. I think it's easy DIY.

As bazzle said - look if something is indeed stuck in there

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
27 Posts
My motor failed at approx 20k miles/2years. It was replaced under warranty. As I remember, it was a very quick fix (<1 hour).

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
patsslk said:
Where is the fan motor located? Is it by the cabin air filter?
Yes, somewhere there - should be available thru passenger footwell, may be you'll need to take out glovebox.

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,
I found the fan motor, and had a look. To get to it:
1. Remove the black plastic cover underneath the glove comp. 2 screws hold it in.
2. Remove the cover of the fan motor. This is right next to the cabin filter. The cover is removed by sliding 2 peices of plastic.
3. Unhood the power supply, and remove cover

There were some leaves in there, which I cleaned out. But the noise persists. My guess is that the motor needs replacing. Electric motors do go bad at some point, and mine is about 9 years old.

So, it looked like there were just 4 screws to get the part out? Is this correct? Looks like a fairly easy thing to replace, except you have to do it upside down! I thinking about trying it myself...anything to watch out for?

I did find using a mirror to be helpfull, but that probably wouldn't help in the replacement process.

Pat

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
patsslk said:
So, it looked like there were just 4 screws to get the part out? Is this correct? Looks like a fairly easy thing to replace, except you have to do it upside down! I thinking about trying it myself...anything to watch out for?

I did find using a mirror to be helpfull, but that probably wouldn't help in the replacement process.
I think after you take 4 screws out - you'll have to twist the motor to get it out. It should be a big deal. When i installed BVRC i had to asume some weird positions that are not even in kamasutra.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts