Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see who painted their SEC calipers and what was the out come?

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
fyi, you're missing a chassis grommet.. Most often I see those punched out by the wrecker guys :-/
As for painting, I'm partial to the original cad plating.

Dark, evern thought about swapping out to the later calipers/rotors? Considerably more substantial.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dark! Did you remove them off the car to paint? Can you provide me with details please?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,591 Posts
I painted mine with silver engine paint on the car. I used paper towels to cover everything up and then sprayed them. Brake cleaner took the minor overspray off the rotors.

I like DarkOne's red calipers so when I remove mine to rebuild them, they'll be red when they go back on the car.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
You can buy spray cans of brake caliper paint in most auto parts stores. It comes in various colors.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
JNice said:
Thanks Dark! Did you remove them off the car to paint? Can you provide me with details please?
Thanks in advance
yeah i took em off. well not completely. I still left the brake line connected. but otherwise, the rest was off. best thing to do with calipers because of the rust, is wire brush the hell out of em, and use a self etching primer before painting. the caliper paint I got at autozone.

jhodg5ck said:
fyi, you're missing a chassis grommet.. Most often I see those punched out by the wrecker guys :-/
As for painting, I'm partial to the original cad plating.

Dark, evern thought about swapping out to the later calipers/rotors? Considerably more substantial.

Jonathan

Hmm. I never had a late model so I never thought about it. I'll look into it. Thanks. I did want to pick up some drilled rotors in the future though. maybe that will give me an excuse. Now we need to petition EBC to make front ceramic pads for these. they make the rears, just not the fronts yet.

and yeah. I noticed the grommet. I just never got around to getting it since the nearest dealer that isn't a collection of scumbags is far away. They most likely have a Wanted poster with my face on it at millenium Mercedes benz in bridgewater. that was the closest before...well... you know.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
jhodg5ck said:
fyi ever thought about swapping out to the later calipers/rotors? Considerably more substantial.

Jonathan

That's a very very interesting upgrade Jonathan, are there any difficulties or is it a straight swap ?

And if it is a swap, will sedan calipers/rotors fit an SEC ?

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
FYI.

I painted the calipers on the 190e about 6 months ago. I sand blasted them, used a good cleaner, sprayed them with Dupli-color Engine enamel primer, then a few base coats and then a few clear coats. Followed the directions to a "tee". About 2 months ago, I noticed bubbling and chipping on the front calipers only. CRAP! All that work for nothing! So, I bought a box of the actual "caliper paint" kit from Dupli-color. You get a can of cleaner with it and then you brush the new paint on. I applied two coats of paint on all 4 calipers and I have more than 3/4ths of the paint can left! So far it's holding up rather well. I'd stay clear of the "spray can" technique, even though it seems the best way. In this case, the "brush on" stuff worked better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jammerkiller did you remove the caliper when you brushed on the paint?

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Unless you have thin spoked wheels, whats the point of having painted calipers? They won't be seen with wheels like Dark has in his sig.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
Snibble said:
Unless you have thin spoked wheels, whats the point of having painted calipers? They won't be seen with wheels like Dark has in his sig.
Snib, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Dave

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
because it's there. and I know it's there. and I might get better wheels. and I detailed everything else. and was running out of shit to do. It was an experiment actually. I can see them through my wheels though.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
BNZ said:
That's a very very interesting upgrade Jonathan, are there any difficulties or is it a straight swap ?

And if it is a swap, will sedan calipers/rotors fit an SEC ?

Gen II 126 560 bits should bolt up. Spindle/hub are the same so I'd wager w/ the updated disc/caliper you could have the later brakes..

I prefer the later calipers w/ pistons on both sides of the disc;-)

One thing I would be concerned about w/ the paint is how much heat will that hold in? IMHO, I want as much heat leaving as quickly as possible from the brakes.

I think you'll find ceramic pads disappointing on the street and pretty crappy for the track. You lose the initial bite/superb modulating ability with them. After one set I've had my fill of ceramic.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
less dust though. I had ceramic pads on my sebring. I liked em.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I'm of the opinion that less dust is not preferable when it comes with decreased braking performance.

Mercedes has always put considerable effort/R&D into their brakes and as such has turned out cars with systems far superior to their competitors. With that in mind I think it wise not to 2nd guess 1000's of hours of R&D...especially when dealing with the system in the venue for which is was intended, public roads.

To muck about in what I'm quite certain is a well thought out equation for strictly cosmetic reasons would not be wise.

Also, the braking system on your Sebring has very different requirements/materials.

Mercedes utilizes a soft pad and soft rotor, while most domestic manufactures use hard pads and rotors. If you are going to modify one aspect of the braking system you had best continue the theme throughout the remaining bits.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
good point. maybe I'll do just that. just how modern can I go with the brakes?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, if you want to run a hard pad you'll need a hard rotor so you'll have to send yours out for cryogenic treatment.

Again, you'll still be down on overall braking performance (and fell IMHO) so I don't recommend it.

Jonathan

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
as modern as you want providing you do the research on things like can the master cylinder manage the size of the pistons etc, i.e you may want to bore out the primary cylinder a bit to cope with lager pistons. And get a caliper adapter made up - anythings possible really, and I second jonothans sentiments about the paint in terms of heat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts