Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300E 3.2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, what equipment are you using?
I am trying to determine whether using an Ipod to play MP3s is viable.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Been using an iPod for over a year.

Lots of other people are doing it too.

Some people are even using MP3 CD changers.

-s-

·
Registered
SLK230
202 Posts
I am using a Kenwood reciever that plays MP3s on cdr. It was really easy to install. Jus...

I am using a Kenwood reciever that plays MP3s on cdr. It was really easy to install. Just used a harness from Scorsche. I can send you instructions if you need. Also, this reciever sounds way better than stock.

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
I had an Alpine MP3 changer. If you load up your CD-Rs, you can get about 600 songs at 192...

I had an Alpine MP3 changer. If you load up your CD-Rs, you can get about 600 songs at 192Kbps which sounds awesome. I used it both with the stock deck with an FM modulator and later with an Alpine deck.

·
Registered
ML 430
87 Posts
fm modulator and mp3 player`

please see my postings over in the w163 area

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/messages.asp?messno=74553&id=21&view=t

the fm modulator is not an audiophile's cup of tea, but at 120km/h it's pretty hard to pick up the difference unless you're listening to mozart.

If it could be somehow wired into a command/mcs/bose stereo it would be much better.

·
Registered
1991 300TE, 1986 190 2.3, 2005 C230
53 Posts
I got an Alpine head unit that plays MP3s from CDRs, but it also has an AUX input. I had the shop that did the work do a little extra magic and install a panel with the mini-jack in the ashtray of my '91 300TE. I change the source from Disc to AUX, plug in my Nomad MP3 player, and life is good.

Most of my music collection is on MP3 but I didn't want the hassle of burning discs and keeping them in the car. Someday I'll get a 20-30 gb portable MP3 player so that all my music will be with me whenever I drive.

I did a lot of research before going this route, picking the correct head unit and the correct place to get it installed. Everything can be reverted back to stock if I so desire. I have the best of both worlds this way, discs or a portable MP3 player.

-Brian

·
Registered
1991 300TE, 1986 190 2.3, 2005 C230
53 Posts
I got an Alpine head unit that plays MP3s from CDRs, but it also has an AUX input. I had the shop that did the work do a little extra magic and install a panel with the mini-jack in the ashtray of my '91 300TE. I change the source from Disc to AUX, plug in my Nomad MP3 player, and life is good.

Most of my music collection is on MP3 but I didn't want the hassle of burning discs and keeping them in the car. Someday I'll get a 20-30 gb portable MP3 player so that all my music will be with me whenever I drive.

I did a lot of research before going this route, picking the correct head unit and the correct place to get it installed. Everything can be reverted back to stock if I so desire. I have the best of both worlds this way, discs or a portable MP3 player.

-Brian

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: I had an Alpine MP3 changer. If you load up your CD-Rs, you can get about 600 songs at 192

I had an Alpine MP3 changer. If you load up your CD-Rs, you can get about 600 songs at 192Kbps which sounds awesome. I used it both with the stock deck with an FM modulator and later with an Alpine deck.
Do you know the model number and whether it will work with an alpine 7592?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any other choices for iPod use?

I have the same question regarding iPod use in a new Benz.
As the car is a 2003 S430 there is no cassette deck.

I've tried using the Belkin iPod FM transmitter with poor results.
I find we have to keep moving the ipod with the attached "transmitter" around in the car to get optimum signal. And of course this is all rather unsightly.

There is a new FM transmitter coming out from Griffin Technologies which which has more tuning options other than just the 88.x frequencies. And there is no cord between it and the iPod.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/index.html

What I would like most is an aux in jack to pipe the sound from the ipod (or anything else) straight into the stock sound system.

I wonder why none of the high end cars are coming with this as an option on their radios?

So as this car has the command system and integrated phone, navigation etc. I'm wondering what other recourse I have for this as I assume doing some aftermarket stereo deck would not work with the command system.

Has anyone done something like just an aux jack via an aftermarket dealer?

David
in Tucson, AZ

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Any other choices for iPod use?

I have the same question regarding iPod use in a new Benz.
As the car is a 2003 S430 there is no cassette deck.

I've tried using the Belkin iPod FM transmitter with poor results.
I find we have to keep moving the ipod with the attached "transmitter" around in the car to get optimum signal. And of course this is all rather unsightly.

There is a new FM transmitter coming out from Griffin Technologies which which has more tuning options other than just the 88.x frequencies. And there is no cord between it and the iPod.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/index.html

What I would like most is an aux in jack to pipe the sound from the ipod (or anything else) straight into the stock sound system.

I wonder why none of the high end cars are coming with this as an option on their radios?

So as this car has the command system and integrated phone, navigation etc. I'm wondering what other recourse I have for this as I assume doing some aftermarket stereo deck would not work with the command system.

Has anyone done something like just an aux jack via an aftermarket dealer?

David
in Tucson, AZ
2003 S-class has COMAND with no cassette (as you point out), so it has an AUX input.

-s-

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
36 Posts
ipod, nomad, etc input.

I recently found out on another forum that some companies make an interface to the CD changer input of various OEM headunits. My understanding of the interface is that it is a box with an input for your mp3 player and an output specifically designed to hook up to the cd changer input of your OEM headunit. So the headunit thinks it is seeing a CD changer, which is actually your mp3 player. Unfortunately I dont recall the names of the companies right now, but I remember visiting one of the websites, and they didn't support MB cars -yet, and definitely did not support the new optical digital CD changer inputs.

Steve

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Isn't there an AUX audio input on the back of the COMAND? I believe you just need the cab...

Isn't there an AUX audio input on the back of the COMAND? I believe you just need the cable and a place to mount the jack (center console or glove box).

Dave

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Aux input for S class

Your 2003 S class should have an AUX input on the right side wall of the globebox. It is an eighth inch female mini-stereo jack. You might wish to consult your COMAND manual. Page 200.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts