Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Unimog U1300L - ex German Military
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just shaken hands on this vehicle and was interested to know its history.
I understand from the seller that it was owned by a Dutch couple and kept in Africa (Namibia I think) for a few years.
It was converted circa 2005 into a camper by a Dutch company.
AV have a record of it being owned by someone in a Chicago in 2013.
All in all - looks like it is fairly well travelled.
It is pretty distinctive so I’m sure there are people on here who will recognise it.
Yes - I had started converting mine to a camper, but then this came up on eBay and it’s exactly what I had planned for mine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Truktor.
That must be from a previous ad which I hadn’t seen before.
I’m hoping someone will recognise it & help me work out where it has been....
Dan.

·
Registered
1983 Unimog U900
14 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks we need a TV show "Life of a Mog"? I don't think there is a one that has led a boring life - they get bought/sold/repurposed so many times. I know my '61 406 was at one time with the Oregon Forestry Dept, then went to the California desert. My '79 MB4/94 used to cruise the streets of Pagosa Springs with Dan Fogelberg at the wheel. And now the '79 is in the mountains of central Idaho (via Minnesota) and the '61 (via Maryland and Texas) will be there in a few months. Counting on this being their 'forever home'... lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is just brilliant & so wonderfully demonstrates the power of this great forum.
Thanks guys....
Dan.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
I'm happy to help.

Along with the frog in my pocket...

It is good when a search is successful.

Best of luck with your new truck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again Truktor,
Solely based on the information you posted I found a YouTube video they uploaded following their Africa trip...

Our “big trip” which we hope to do after a few shorter ones (maybe 2-3 years time) is to ship it over to Halifax, then drive to Alaska before heading south down the west coast to Patagonia.

Hope to meet up with a few other owners on here on the way...

Dan.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
I honestly do enjoy trying to figure things out and helping if possible.

It took a little bit of searching, but I figured they had to leave a footprint on the internet somewhere. A number of searches produced a bunch of photos for my collection, but only a couple of your truck.

Finally, the search : 'UNIMOG DUTCH AFRICA' uncovered the thread that opened the door. It is a good feeling to solve the problem, and it is a little frustrating when I can't dig anything up.

It's all for sport, anyway.

Thanks for saying 'Thank You', a bunch of people don't bother, unfortunately. I try to find the solution because I enjoy it, and I am not trying to rack up 'Thank You's', but there is a little void noticed when they are forgotten.

Here's to years of happy travels with your UNIMOG. If you dip south toward Montana, give me a shout.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
you sir are a very valuable resource, a veritable NSA/NRO of unimog image gathering and for that we salute you. You were missed in your absence and the topic of much discussion as to where is truktor, did he get lost in the access mess etc.

this is an excellent example of your work and it is very well received.

·
Registered
'91 427.110 '02 405.230
3,347 Posts
you sir are a very valuable resource, a veritable NSA/NRO of unimog image gathering and for that we salute you. You were missed in your absence and the topic of much discussion as to where is truktor, did he get lost in the access mess etc.

this is an excellent example of your work and it is very well received.
Ditto.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
The fact that there there are a lot of helpful people on here is what makes this board a real community.

This place is populated with a lot of very skilled, and very smart people. There are solutions and information offered from all corners of the globe.
(Wait, that well-worn phrase....implies that spheres have corners...)

That these people are, quite sadly, mainly afflicted with a strange and specific type of mania or obsession, makes their sometimes feeble struggles all the more charming.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we will all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

1 - 20 of 20 Posts