Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 C280 and I broke something in the mirror. It costs $550 to replace it and I would like to remove it so I can see if it is something I can glue back on. Does anyone know how to take the mirror off the car?<br> <br> Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a new rear view mirroe to replace mine which had a broken day/night switch. It si on my '88 420SEL. I cannot figure how to remove the mirror that's broke to replace it with a new one. I hope you find out so I can as well!

·
Registered
39 Posts
don't know about the newer benz but I had the same struggle on my 76 450sl.

turned out the whole mirror assemble (with stem) comes out - it just fits in the top with a kind of pressure clip mechanism. But it really seemed bolted on at first, until I pulled at the right angle and it popped right out.

I just held the stem - not the mirror - firmly, and pulled.

But again, yours may be different.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
kbflorida - 9/13/2005 9:22 PM

don't know about the newer benz but I had the same struggle on my 76 450sl.

turned out the whole mirror assemble (with stem) comes out - it just fits in the top with a kind of pressure clip mechanism. But it really seemed bolted on at first, until I pulled at the right angle and it popped right out.

I just held the stem - not the mirror - firmly, and pulled.

But again, yours may be different.
Yes, our 107's as well as my 124 sedan use a ball bearing w/ mainspring setup. Not sure on the new ones .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks so much! i guess I just needed to know that using some muscle would cost a fortune. It worked. I replaced it with new mirror and learned that spraying a bit of silicone on the pins allows them to slide into place really well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts