Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't have access to a jack until this weekend but need to do my front hoses. I think I might have enough room but was curious if anyone has done this...

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Mother of goat no. Remember you'll have to bleed the calipers, etc. Having the tires in the way? Forget that noise.

Dave

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts
Well, it would be challenging to change the brake lines, but not impossible. Then there's the issue of breaking those old hoses loose. They can be difficult to the point of damaging the hard lines, (personal experience).

But as for the bleeding, I did it for my Spring brake fluid flush this year without jacking up the car. I used my Mity Vac and I did it alone.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Can it be done? Sure. But why would you?! I suppose I am spoiled though, having access to a full lift anytime I need it too...

Dave

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
I've never done it but I'm sure it is possible. A good chance to teach the neighbourhood kids all the swear words you know.

I must say I very much enjoy being in the dirt whilst bleeding my brakes - it makes you feel like you've really made the effort.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I must say I very much enjoy being in the dirt whilst bleeding my brakes - it makes you feel like you've really made the effort.
Funny you mention. My buddy who helped me replace the brakes on my Suburban a month or so ago while I was physically unable had undone the lines and got brakefluid and brakedust/rust all over him. Just got absolutely filthy. We went to the parts store to swap a part that was wrong and another customer wearing true mechanic shop clithing says to him "what happened to you? Try to take apart an engine from the inside?!" - I thought of this when I originally read the post... Classic. ;)

Dave

(And yes, I was giving him the lecture on just how hazardous all that crap is for our health...)

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
I would think you would jack it up like you would normally do. Don't forget you should have the stock jack. I find it to be pretty high quality compared to others and its relatively safe if you chalk the wheels so they don't roll. I use my stock jack as a regular shop jack, lots of use, and keep it well greased with zero problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts