Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl r129 1990
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 500sl 1990 and have been trying to identify a misfire that I have been trying to resolve myself. I am to proud to give up and take it to a garage I feel I just need a push in the right direction to reignite my passion for this beast (sometimes bitch) of a motorcar. Many thanks burtie11.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
2009 S550, 1973 Avanti II, 2008 Silverado LTZ
899 Posts
Buy me a round trip ticket and I'll be right over!
I probably can't help much with the misfire, but I've always wanted to see the U.K.!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,212 Posts
I am sure you will get some good advise if you can be more specific on the miss fire, What have you already checked etc. Start with the basics first, plugs leads distributor cap and rotor etc

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl r129 1990
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi I have changed plugs rotor arms dizzy caps and cps oh and new battery and so far still the same. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl r129 1990
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the best way to check the leads. What do I look for. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
When does it misfire? During warm up only? During acceleration only? Here are a couple of simple & free DIY checks of bad plug leads (wires):

Sometimes old & bad leads start to conduct electricity on the outside of the insulation, degrading the spark. If you start the engine when it is pitch-dark and open the hood - you might see sparks leaping everywhere from the leads. In that case the leads are toast, and should be replaced.

Also you can do resistance checks for each wire. I'm not sure if you have radio 'supressors' fitted in each line. That could affect the resistance, I guess. But the resistance of all leads should be the same. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts