Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on pics, svc history, etc. I know, I know, but wanted to at least put the word out.

A car that would be a good match to the SEL with 41K I sold here recently. That SEL was insane.....a new car in a 20 year old car body. Nicest condition I have ever seen.

This SEC is the same. 1989, double black 560SEC. One owner, lots of records, all books, looks like no one has ever been inside. Drives like new car. Exterior is pristine. Everything is shiny and unmarked, from the trim to the glass to the chrome. Wears correct Michelins. Always garaged, never seen bad weather.

Only 33K original documented miles. Orange needles, blah blah blah. All stock except for OEM triple-chrome wheels. Radio is aftermarket but stock radio is included for originality.

Seller wants $24.9K, which for this car is hard to argue with, but in this economy is a pipe dream. I'm hitting him with the 'economy stick', so we'll see where it ends up. Maybe $22K? $21K? Will update once I have answer.

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,321 Posts
Oh Bruce, you do this stuff just to torture poor souls.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I have a relative that would be interested in that car, provided it has no issues. Let me know when you have photos!

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes Benz 420SEL 258,000 miles (SOLD) 1991 300se 168,000 miles, ASR 1999 GMC Yukon 192,000
1,376 Posts
im hitting refresh until there up...

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are pics......schweeeeeeet!!

Not too shabby. If anyone is interested let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 420SEL, 1989 Porsche 928-S4, 1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V
75 Posts
I could be totally off here, but wasn't the two-tone from a lower optioned, 300 series, or way earlier in the 80's? All of the SEL's from late 80's to 91' I remember seeing were all 1 color, body & cladding.

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
very nice example but ...
*doesn't look like the ultimate garage queen
*signs of oxidation (e.g. on air cleaner lid)
*yellow tank
*wood looks a little dull
*can't really see if the needles are ORANGE orange

at that price needs to truly be pristine, which just from these pics this one ain't. maybe it's (as they say) "nicer in person" but from what i see here i'll say that i've seen finer examples for less.

but good luck to the seller in this market. as i've said before, as the owner of a couple of these couple i hope he / she / the dealer / whoever gets what they are asking

keep us posted. look forward to seeing whether this one ends up

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
I could be totally off here, but wasn't the two-tone from a lower optioned, 300 series, or way earlier in the 80's? All of the SEL's from late 80's to 91' I remember seeing were all 1 color, body & cladding.
Negative. ALL factory w126's come two-toned (the cladding color varies slighty but it never comes painted body color from the factory). Many were painted to match by owners.

As a matter of fact, early w140's come with gray cladding.

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,321 Posts
I'm just glad it doesn't have a gray interior. Nice find Bruce.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Er, no.

Negative. ALL factory w126's come two-toned (the cladding color varies slighty but it never comes painted body color from the factory). Many were painted to match by owners.

As a matter of fact, early w140's come with gray cladding.

The stock, unmolested 560SEC in my shed respectfully disagrees. Is all one colour, unrestored. Ahem.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup. Like they say "that's a good comp."

And Scassels black on black gen2 coupe, which I almost bought, is arguably nicer than either of these. And was had for a lot less.

You don't need to win the lottery, just need to be patient and not overpay. :rolleyes:

I'm all for a good value, and granted there are very nice SECs for significantly less.

But I do not see how you can consider it a comp when one car has 80K miles and the other 32K. That's a WORLD of difference, especially with these cars.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'm all for a good value, and granted there are very nice SECs for significantly less.

But I do not see how you can consider it a comp when one car has 80K miles and the other 32K. That's a WORLD of difference, especially with these cars.
Do tell ...

First, I assume you are referring to mechanical issues because these higher mileage cars are cosmetically as nice if not nicer than the 32K mile car you posted here.

So assuming the 80K mile car and 32K mile car have each had all proper / regular maintenance (and to eliminate other variables they have been driven in a similar fashion i.e. not flogged, did not sit for long periods, etc etc)... what would you expect the WORLD of difference to include?

Thanks in advance for the insight and look forward to your thoughts :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts