Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, Silver/Black - Stock
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pay shipping both ways of course and will return with some fancy beers or equivalent. :D

·
Registered
1994 E320 wagon, 1999 E320 wagon, BMW Z3
98 Posts
Fancy beer? I have the spring compressor but not the bushing tool. Does that qualify me for your fancy beer give-away program?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Weeeelllll. I really needed the set. But if can get the bushing tool and need to borrow your compressor, than absolutely!!! Stay tuned- and thanks! Which kind is it? Does it go in the center of the spring or from the outside?

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's the good kind that goes in the center of the spring. I will say that if you haven't done the lower control arms before , it is a real pain in the arse to deal with the bushings. After having done it once, and finally ending up taking the arms to the dealer to have the old bushings removed, I would never do it again. There are too many options out there for just replacing the whole arm with the bushings already installed for me to even consider buying the bushings again. In fact, I have to do it all again because I decided to try some poly bushings in my lower arms. The car now rides like a hardtail Harley. I plan to buy the complete arms in the next few weeks and throw the ones with the poly bushes in the trash. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up. I was leaning towards going with the arms and doing it myself but I hate dealing with coil springs. It doesn't look like a tough job if I don't have to do the bushings (and I have a good ball joint tool) but I was on the fence since its another substantial savings to do the bushings myself as well. You have convinced me to do the arms or have a shop do it.

Arms $163 each partsgeek.com Lemfoerder x 2 = $326 5 hours
Shop $160 parts x 2, $350 labor = $700 (tax) 0 hours

·
Registered
98 Posts
How many miles on your car? Mine had about 130K and I really think that the lower bushings were still good. I could have just replaced the sway bushes, end links, and lower ball joints and the car would have been good to go. Now I have to take it all apart again just to fix my poor choice of bushings.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's at 150K. When I bought it at 125K everything was tight. The bushings went out only recently I think. The ball joints were gone about 5K ago and I replaced those myself. A good tool made it a snap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It sounds like you have a plan. Let me know if you would like to use the compressor.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might, thank you. Is it the kind with the hooks or the two discs?

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
All you need is two 3/4 wrench's and the wrench's to use the control arm bushing bolt and nut to draw it into its bore.

As far as the compressor, I havent used a spring compressor on a Mercedes in years.

I just use a jack and a jack stand.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
let me guess,

1. lift front of car, secure on stands.
2. Put jack under coil spring and lift until main bolts can be removed easily (load off).
3. Lower jack and let spring push the arm bushings down and below for access.
4. Use bushing tool to remove and replace
5. Jack arm back up, insert new bolts

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
let me guess,

1. lift front of car, secure on stands.
2. Put jack under coil spring and lift until main bolts can be removed easily (load off).
3. Lower jack and let spring push the arm bushings down and below for access.
4. Use bushing tool to remove and replace
5. Jack arm back up, insert new bolts
You do it that way and expect a hospital visit.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All you need is two 3/4 wrench's and the wrench's to use the control arm bushing bolt and nut to draw it into its bore.

As far as the compressor, I havent used a spring compressor on a Mercedes in years.

I just use a jack and a jack stand.
Care to elaborate then?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It has the two discs.
Thanks again for the kind offer. I decided to have it done. It was really pretty bad. Both sides completely gone, 50 mph wobble, heavy pull to right, and the tires complaining mightily the whole time. Good news is there does not appear to be anything wrong down there right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts