Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my accident I broke both of the ends of the snorkels from the air box. I haven't been able to find any locally. Does anyone have a pair of these hoses or just the vacuum looking ends? Thanks a lot.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
I think I have one of them (for the right side, the battery side of the car I mean) in the garage at home, but I am still with this girl down in LA and won't be back home for a couple more days

(But if you want a clean one for free, just pm me your address and I will shoot it over to you when I get back home)

I am sorry I don't have one for the other side though for you..

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I have one of them (for the right side, the battery side of the car I mean) in the garage at home, but I am still with this girl down in LA and won't be back home for a couple more days

(But if you want a clean one for free, just pm me your address and I will shoot it over to you when I get back home)

I am sorry I don't have one for the other side though for you..
That's awesome, thanks so much!

How critical are these snorkels to the performance of the engine anyway? Does much engineering go into them to produce "optimal airflow"? Or is it simply just necessary to "get some air in there?"

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
That's awesome, thanks so much!

How critical are these snorkels to the performance of the engine anyway? Does much engineering go into them to produce "optimal airflow"? Or is it simply just necessary to "get some air in there?"
It's one of those matters where every little bit counts. The snorkels get cooler, denser air from the front of the radiator with a little bit of positive pressure to help feed the engine. It'll run just fine but you'll see a performance loss to who nows what percent or fraction there of.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's one of those matters where every little bit counts. The snorkels get cooler, denser air from the front of the radiator with a little bit of positive pressure to help feed the engine. It'll run just fine but you'll see a performance loss to who nows what percent or fraction there of.
I have noticed a lot worse fuel economy. Could this be a symptom of poor air supply?

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
I'm confused. (Again! LOL!) Did you break the hoses or the snorkel tube ends on the aircleaner assy?
or did you break the inlet pieces on either side of the radiator? The tubes are easily come by in JY's that wreck Mb's. I may have an extra smaller(driver's side) one. Possibly a right side tube also.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
I have noticed a lot worse fuel economy. Could this be a symptom of poor air supply?
If the engine is pulling in hot air as opposed to the normal cooler air that could be a result but I can't say to what degree. The older fuel system sense flow but not mass of the air.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm confused. (Again! LOL!) Did you break the hoses or the snorkel tube ends on the aircleaner assy?
or did you break the inlet pieces on either side of the radiator? The tubes are easily come by in JY's that wreck Mb's. I may have an extra smaller(driver's side) one. Possibly a right side tube also.
I broke just the inlet pieces on either side of the radiator. The driver's side tube is fine, but the passenger side tube was crunched a little.

The 420 SEL at the junkyard was already missing it's hoses.

·
Registered
1995 E320 (totalled) 91 420SEL W126 (retired) 2002 S500 W220(retired); 2008 C300 Sport W204
662 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts