Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E300D
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replacing my clock spring this evening and I was wondering if anyone can provide me some tips.

I tried searching for a pictorial DIY with no luck. I found the DIY for steering wheel removal and it seems pretty straightforward. After the wheel is off is the clock spring sitting right there? Looking at the new part there appears to be only 2 small screws that mount it in place?

Any tips or potential pitfalls I need to look out for? Or is it easy enough it needs no DIY once you remove the wheel:D?

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes ML500 2000 Mercedes E320 1999 Mercedes E430 1996 Mercedes SL320
185 Posts
1. Disconnect your battery. Wait 30 minutes before starting.

2. Be very very careful when removing the air bag. It can cause serious injury or death if it accidentally goes off. When removed be sure to set it down front side up.

3. The steering wheel nut is a 10mm hex and is extremely tight. I tried using a 3/8" drive craftsman which I broke trying to loosen it. You will need a professional quality 1/2" drive hex socket from someone like SK or Snap on. When removing the bolt DO NOT USE the steering wheel lock to hold the wheel. Either have someone hold the wheel while you loosen the bolt or fabricate a piece of wood to hold the wheel in place. Don't even think about using an impact wrench.

4. Before removing the wheel make sure it is centered and mark its position on the wheel and column so you can put it back in exactly the same spot.

5. When fitting the new clock spring make sure that the two halves stay together until you have it screwed in place. Just be careful and you won't have a problem.

6. The steering wheel nut should be replaced whenever it is removed.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
how do you get the original one off??
Welcome; please click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile; it's useful information when you're seeking assistance.

That said, and even assuming you have a W210, how do you get *what* off?

The help/diy stickies at the top of the forum cover about 90% of the things you'll run into. There's a couple of diys on changing the steering wheel and one on tightening the combo switch; one of those is likely to have the info you appear to be seeking.

Good luck.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Replacing a clock spring-----wow that's like finding a dog with three gonads, very rare, therefore, why do you suspect the horn does not work------- because of a clock spring?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome; please click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile; it's useful information when you're seeking assistance.

That said, and even assuming you have a W210, how do you get *what* off?

The help/diy stickies at the top of the forum cover about 90% of the things you'll run into. There's a couple of diys on changing the steering wheel and one on tightening the combo switch; one of those is likely to have the info you appear to be seeking.

Good luck.
I am new at trying to figure this site out but for now I need this info asap! it is a 2000 e320. I remove the steering wheel, there is a black cover with the wires that plug to air bad. there is 2 holes with 2 small phillips screws. I tried to loosen the screws and it did not seem to loosen the cover at all. the screws are not even attached to that cover. it seems like this cover just pushes on but i dont want to force it. this is the black cover over the clock spring. thanks for your help!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts