Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add a period-correct phone system into my 560. I was thinking of getting one from Europe out of a mid-90's model that runs on GSM but there's a good chance it won't work due to network differences between US and Europe. So it may be extra work for nothing.

If someone's got the whole set up.. I'd love to install it(even if the technology is outdated and won't work).

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,015 Posts
The Euro 560SEL that cascade inspected for MB_Mike was optioned for a phone system. Not sure what that means, where/what equipment that would entail, wiring in specific spots (glockbox?)

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Euro 560SEL that cascade inspected for MB_Mike was optioned for a phone system. Not sure what that means, where/what equipment that would entail, wiring in specific spots (glockbox?)
Depending on the year, it could be a B-Netz or C-Netz system but those systems were never in the US. Most of that system's components were placed in the trunk.

I'd be more interested in the normal analog units we had here in the US. Hell, I'd settle for the phone handle and wiring alone:D

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
My car came up as having a phone as a factory option on the russian vin site when I ran the vin
I didnt think it was possable in a 1983 car
When I got it there was reminants of a phone airel that ended in the boot (I though it wieard at the time) i guess that explains it

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,791 Posts
There was one in a yard in Morrisville, PA. My money is it is still there. Its an anthracite grey 500SEL.

Junkyard Barbie is the name of the place. Also euro lights, wipers and ortho seats with F.E. bracket.

·
Premium Member
500SL AMG, 500TE AMG, 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,225 Posts
There was one in a yard in Morrisville, PA. My money is it is still there. Its an anthracite grey 500SEL.

Junkyard Barbie is the name of the place. Also euro lights, wipers and ortho seats with F.E. bracket.
MB_Mike, if you head back and if you're so inclined, would you mind nicking the FE bracket for me? Thanks.

dr grillz, i'll keep an eye out for an OE phone...

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MB_Mike, if you head back and if you're so inclined, would you mind nicking the FE bracket for me? Thanks.

Thanks 48hp... btw, add 8 bolts for the front 3pc wheels and 8 bolts for the rear 3pc wheels to my list of needed items ;-)

BTW, MB_Mike, if you could grab the central locking pump (the black box in the trunk with an extra outing for ortho seats) and one top seat backing with the controls to regulate pressure, that would be awesome... but do realize its asking for a lot;)

·
Registered
1997 Dinan BMW M3; 1985 190e 2.3, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
1,382 Posts
There was no "stock" US phone.. but that phone would do!:)
I don't own that car, it is actually siting at a local MB Dealer, the doors were open so I grabbed some pics today, I have contacted them to see if it was for sale, the sales rep said she thought it may be wholesaled out.

·
Registered
1997 Dinan BMW M3; 1985 190e 2.3, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
1,382 Posts
good to see some more PA'ers
Thanks, where in Pa are you?

I see you have a 420SEL, I am looking at a 1990 166k miles looks to be in nice shape, can you give me your thoughts on what you have experienced as an owner.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes Benz 420SEL 258,000 miles (SOLD) 1991 300se 168,000 miles, ASR 1999 GMC Yukon 192,000
1,376 Posts
west chester, but down in sc for school, where its not snowing

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,791 Posts

BTW, MB_Mike, if you could grab the central locking pump (the black box in the trunk with an extra outing for ortho seats) and one top seat backing with the controls to regulate pressure, that would be awesome... but do realize its asking for a lot

Be happy to help if I make it back that way. I am sure if there are any members closer they could make it happen a lot quicker though.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in no rush... if they're there, great. If not, oh well:p

·
Registered
Sold, in the market.
224 Posts
I have seen old style phones (that are actually new) that look just like an old phone but can pair up with a cell phone, usually through bluetooth. If you could get one like that and it looked a bit like the MB one, that would be awesome. Or, you could get an old MB one from Europe that probably wont work here, and get one of the bluetooth ones and rip apart the new one and set it up inside the MB one. Then u have authentic MB bluetooth phone! And it just goes straight to your cell phone, so no extra plans or whatever.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
I'll look and see if I still have the phone that was in Abigail when I bought her. It was mounted in the tray behind the shift lever. I do know the mice ate the cord covering though. If I still have it you are welcome to it. It was a $3000.00 phone for the PO a Hospital Administrator. Had a box mounted under the rear package shelf in the trunk, like a 10 disc player would be mounted. Don't know If I have that component or not. It was Analog so it would not function today.

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,562 Posts
48hp, I have one on hand, if you are interested, shoot me a pm. (bracket only)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts