1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...part # A 003-542-23-18
aka A163-542-6440

It's mounted on Trans Tunnel just below console window switch panel.

Not visible until Console is removed.

There are 2 sensors mounted there.
This is the more rectangular shaped one mounted furthest forward of the 2.

Glad to pay $40+ ish for this part if ANYONE has an available Junker ML/w163 with this sensor still on it.

Also will anyone please direct me to exact location on forum where "Parts MLs" may be listed ?

Thanks so much - David in Texas

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,537 Posts
David

I know of an 02 pick a part that may have one. As of now not considering a yard high risk. Unless they have closed

I know the console was pulled not sure if sensor is still there?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,537 Posts
Sorry I just checked their inventory,
Last week it was there this week crushed.

I don’t get why but they always seem to crush the 2000’s the 1999-98 seem to linger forever.

But there is an 01 “across”
the street from me. If you want to do the research, if it had a senor and the part# matches. I be glad to have a look.

What makes you think yours is bad?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry I just checked their inventory,
Last week it was there this week crushed.

I don’t get why but they always seem to crush the 2000’s the 1999-98 seem to linger forever.

But there is an 01 “across”
the street from me. If you want to do the research, if it had a senor and the part# matches. I be glad to have a look.

What makes you think yours is bad?
Wallyo:

That's very thoughtful of you Sir !

I'm not certain an 01 is same but perhaps.
Later this PM I will attach pictures of it & location under console.

p/n: A003 542 23 18
crazy thing that is bottom correct label only visible once unmounted.
Top, misleading label reads:
A163 542 6440

For details on why:

(COPIED FROM OTHER THEAD)

About 3 x in the last year the ML was exhibiting an intermittent BAS error - sudden one wheel braking.

It did set a code a few months back but then it cleared itself.

It would go a long while and no issues.

I also got a code for a defective LR ABS wheel speed sensor, which I replaced & code promptly went away. I decided to order the other 3 wheel speed sensors so they would all be new.

About a week ago, all the sudden I got the infamous '3 light Salute' + the Brake MIL + persistent audible Beeping - the whole time ML is in motion !

I immediately suspected the Yaw Rate Sensor + maybe something other fault had occurred with the ABS system.

So, I'm trying to document this & work thru the issue.

A weird thing happened this time: The ML wouldn't shift out of 1 or 2 Gear - and bumping the Gear Shift in D wouldn't change up or down gears at all !

Very different in that it now doesn't make the ML irritating to drive (by either locking a single wheel OR beeping continuously until cycling key), but rather by preventing the Transmission from shifting above 2, you cannot drive anywhere (above 30mph) !

(Basically, ML goes down road, but undriveable as is)

I scanned & got these codes:

ME module: P20CC Rough Road Detection by comparing wheel speeds - LF Wheel speed missing
P2068>>P0720 Error Stored in EGS Control Unit - Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

ESP module: C1120 - Yaw Rate Sensor - One wheel locks up BAS fault
C1100 Left Front Axle VSS Fault
C1101 Right Front Axle VSS Fault

EGS module P2402 The Front Right Wheel speed of the traction system is implausible
P2400 The Right Rear wheel speed of the Traction System is implausible

I performed the scan & attempted module error erase using the 'CARSOFT FOR MERCEDES' program on the laptop.

But the error codes didn't erase - I've never seen this software fail to erase a code / module before.

Is there a trick like needing to ERASE faults from modules; then disconnect Battery overnight ?

Or do I need to invest a fancy new handheld MB live data scanner like the Autel or iCarSoft ?

Or will the codes NOT erase until after I obtain a new, used (Ebay) 'YAW Sensor" which is part # A 003 542 23 18

Hoping to get this resolved as the ML is sidelined until this is resolved.

END OF COPIED PORTION

Thank you -
David

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wallyo:
20200325_172358.jpg

Pic is the YAW Sensor bottom facing up so correct part # is visible.

Thanks - David

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the layout of the 2 related sensors as they mount below console, the forward being the YAW.
Rear one is Lateral acceleration sensor.
20200325_161751.jpg

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David I pulled the sensor
From the 2001

View attachment 2625579
View attachment 2625580
Wallyo:

You rock Sir. How cool to have a yard that close - we are in the sticks - no chance around here.

Those part #s are very close, not identical. I wonder if it matters - can anyone say if they interchange ?

Will a 2001 YAW sensor, # A 002 542 72 18 -- function properly in place of a --
Yaw sensor from my 2002, # A 003 542 23 18 ?

I'll research it later tonight.

I have some 'honey do' stuff just now.

Again, big thanks Wallyo !

David

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,537 Posts
I am on my phone so harder to cross reference the number. But as you know many parts are the same with superseded numbers.

One site I found does say it fits w163 all years but I would want better valadation then they offered (eBay)

·
Registered
2001 ML320 LHD
713 Posts
My bad Wallyo, previous post edited.

Dave needs to get A 003 542 XX 18 .

A 002 542 XX 18 is for up to 2001.

·
Registered
'00 ML 430
235 Posts
All these sensors are interchangable. You can even use one from a BMW. They all have the same internals

·
Registered
2001 ML320 LHD
713 Posts
All these sensors are interchangable. You can even use one from a BMW. They all have the same internals
Hi PCar SBO,

I have also opened up 2 yaw rate sensors and yes the internals look similar but the question would be why then do new ones need programming? Would that not be to match it to the vehicle?

Please enlighten me.

·
Registered
'00 ML 430
235 Posts
The “programming” is an adaptation step where the ESP controller checks signal stability when going in a straight line and then learns the correlation between the steering angle sensor and the yaw sensor response when doing the 90 degree turn at slow speed. It’s the ESP that gets programmed.

My best guess is the spread of a population of yaw sensors is big enough to where adaptation make the system safer. After all the rate of rotation during a high-speed spin isn’t very high initially and the ESP needs to be able to differentiate between small signal drift and the real deal.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dramos if you look at my second photo the sensor I pulled has A002 542 72 18 printed on the underside sticker.
Hey Wallyo:
Sorry gone for a while.. Got busy!
Thanks to you & all the other guys here for your help!

Please can you send me a PM and let me know how to compensate you & get that Yaw Sensor coming?

I did just finish cleaning connection on existing Yaw Sensor & reinstalling center console.

Now the Yaw Sensor code is gone but steering angle sensor & wheel speed sensor codes remain.

I'm going to clean the Front wheel speed sensors wire connectors again with electrical contact cleaner - which I neglected to upon install last month!

I did check & clean every ground wire under hood & near passenger kick panel fuse box.

I figure swapping for a new Yaw sensor might help resolve things.

Thanks again - David in Texas

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts