Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL500
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I need to do my center driveshaft support, badly! Do I need to drop the exhaust? Etc...

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
No. Just prop transmission on a jack, remove the crossmember, then unbolt flex disk and remove front driveshaft I believe. I need to do mine soon as well...

·
Registered
2000 SL500
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys....seems as though I will have to drop the exhaust as well. Aye!

·
Registered
2013 SL550 Grey/ Red/Black Ash wood with every option
427 Posts
CENTER BEARING

Bjaltima, this is definately a DIY job. I will not attempt to explain how to get the driveshaft out, you'll have to feel your way around that. However, once the shaft is out, follow the directions in the PDF file that Fish posted on marking the driveshaft. I use a centerpunch and usally mark it well. Separate the shafts, and when you get to the part where it shows a puller pulling off the bearing, you substitute it with a drift pin, preferably brass and a hammer. It will come right off. Clean the shaft with some emory cloth, and apply some lube and tap the new one in place. Be sure to take note of the front and back of the old center bearing, as I think the front was different than the back, this is so you can put the new one on in the same way. Keep us posted.............Thor

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
Just to clarify, I meant the link was not to a DIY, but to the service manual.
Thor is correct that this job can be done by your average DIYer ;)
There is plenty of room to work around the exhaust.

Fish

·
Registered
2000 SL500
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys :)

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,754 Posts
You will have to drop the exhaust to do the job. 400E exhaust leave no room for working on the shaft or flex disc replacment without removal. Disconnect at the crossover pipe, prop the entire system up, then remove the rubber hangers. Give yourself allot of room to get the exhaust system out from under the car. It's a bulky affair.

Good Luck,

Jayare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts