Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its no fun. The cable keeps the "wings" on the roof deck in place, so when I put the top down and the deck came up towards the roll bars, one of the wing flaps was pointed forward, hit the roll bar, and bent/twisted the deck.

Turns out the deck is made out of magnesium, so they couldn't bend it back. New deck and cable are being shipped now, and the estimate is just under $600.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
One of my first posts here was about a similar event. I had the factory windscreen on and one of the wings became stuck in it, which bent the hell out of my deck, too. I was just about sick; I hadn't even owned the car for a week. You can straighten out the magnesium deck, unless it is cracked. I did it. Mine actually pressed straight, which I couldn't believe....that deck was folded at about a 70 degree crease, all the way across diagonally. I am still not sure of what caused this, but I suspect that it was a sticking hinge on the wing, which in turn allowed the cable to stretch and pull it's hook off. In case you've never lubricated all of the hinges and linkages on the roof and deck, it makes a big difference in the whole smoothness of the operation. Be careful with the lubricant you use; there's a lot of plastic bushings in the hinges that may or may not be resistant to oils.

I still put my left hand on the rollbar when the top goes back...just waiting for that damn wing to catch again. It hasn't had any problems since that one time.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Ive finally got my roof working correctly. The guy at mercedes told me a few drops of lubricant here and there wont hurt it. Mine was just getting stuck. Seems to be working ok now. knock on wood!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. They say it can't be bent back, but offered to save the part for me - I'm off to pick it up now. We'll see if they have an idea of what caused it, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts