Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my 16' rims on my 2001 to the 17' monoblocks that are standard on the 430. Occasionally when I drive on the highway, I feel as if I'm going to lose control of the car-like the wheels are fighting me on curves in the road. Anyone else experiencing this problem and what is it? My MB dealer told me the only solution is to put my 16' rims back on. I don't think so...especially since these are the MB recommended upgrade rims.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You are joking, right? There is no way this could be happening on a 2001 car. Maybe the person who upgraded your wheels didn't know how to mount them properly and all of the bolts are loose!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Anyone feel like they're losing control at highway speeds?

I had them put on at my MB dealer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Driver

It has to be the driver and not the car. A new Mercedes, BMW, whatever will not 'lose control' at highway speeds just because you put on bigger wheels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All three drivers?

If it 'has to be the driver,' you need to talk to the two mechanics at my MB dealer who also verified that they experienced the problem. They're the ones who told me to put my 16' rims back on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to provide more info on what setup you are running: wheel size? tire brand and size?.....

Staggered? What model is it? Sounds like you may be encountering a case of 'tram lining' also could be a poor alignment job....just because the work was done by MB dealer doesn't always mean it's correct.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
…

Wheels are staggered, 7.5x17 fronts and 8.5x17 rears. Fronts are 225/45ZR17 and rears are 245/40ZR17. All four tires are Michelin Pilot Sport with identical treads. The car is a 2001 CLK320 Cab. What is 'tram lining' and how can I get that fixed?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Here's more info.

Wheels are staggered, 7.5x17 fronts and 8.5x17 rears. Fronts are 225/45ZR17 and rears are 245/40ZR17. All four tires are Michelin Pilot Sport with identical treads. The car is a 2001 CLK320 Cab. What is 'tram lining' and how can I get that fixed?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you are just experiencing more grip. when you get bigger rims the wheels grip the road and sometimes pull your car in a certain direction cause of inperfections in the road. you wont feel this with regular rims cause they dont stick as much. this is normal. or your offset may be off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Here's more info.

Tram lining is the tendency of the car to follow ruts in the road...it is more of a factor with wider and lower profile tires...I run even larger Pilot Sports on my 55 and on some corners where the road is particularly bad...you have to have both hands on the wheel and muscle the car through the corner....it is nothing you can fix.<br> Just make sure you have a good alignment job and that there are not any other problems. Like Kingman says it is one of the prices you pay for more grip.I take it you are driving a 320?...you might think about upgrading your spring package...I found even the 430 to be too soft to feel good control at higher speeds.<br> It all depends on what you want out of the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing is wrong with your car, Its just the lower profile tires dont have as much flex as your 16 inch, so they are getting caught in the grooves of the road. It happens to me too, but only when the highway is not perfectly straight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: Re: Anyone feel like they're losing control at highway speeds?

I had a similiar problem on a BMW 540i and it turned out the directional tires had been mounted backwards. When the tires were remountedd correctly the car handled perfectly. I have a 2001 CLK 430 Cab with Michelin Pilots and the car handles superbly at all speeds. No senses of loss of control at any speed up to 95 mph, which is the fastest it has ever been driven.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Re: Re: Here's more info.

We have a CLK430 and a CLK55. The CLK 55 has much higher spring rates and tighter shock valving, particularly in rebound. Ride quality is still good. The 55 springs and shocks would be a nice upgrade to any CLK, IMO.<br> -- Rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts