Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My father's 82 300SD has a 383 stroker. It hauls.

Really didn't go in that hard. Except had to make a new cross brace. I haven't been under it for a while, don't quite remember the details...

FB
Photos when you can!
Photos! I'm wondering about the motor mounts... :thumbsup:

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
9,157 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD; 2012 ML350 BT; 2011 E350 4M Wagon
1,673 Posts
It's not near me now. I'll get pics when I can.

I think an engine shop fabbed the mounts. They weren't pretty, IIRC.

And custom exhaust headers were required to get around the steering box.

These items may have been the most difficult parts.

FB

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
9,157 Posts
It's not near me now. I'll get pics when I can.

I think an engine shop fabbed the mounts. They weren't pretty, IIRC.

And custom exhaust headers were required to get around the steering box.

These items may have been the most difficult parts.

FB
Can't wait to see.

Oh, and that is one clean Coupe you've got for sale!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
Diesels om616 -> om606
522 Posts
M117's have outdated fueling systems, and are not easily modifiable compared to a LSx.

And there is no way in hell I'm going V12. :eek: That's like committing suicide.
im hoping to get the m275 in a w123 touring, have to build new exhaust, the turbos touch the springs/suspension part on the inside, other than that it might work...

length of engine shouldnt be a problem, and size of gearbox seems to be reasonable easy to solve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In currently almost finished with my swap. I ditched the gear box and swapped a rack and pinion from a w210 in, had to modify the cross member to do so. I started with a transdapt ls1 hot rod engine mount kit then hacked and welded them up. I used stock 300td engine mounts then re-enforced them with polyurethane. the oil pan is a GM muscle car oil pan, originally designed for swapping an LS into a chevelle. I made brackets to mount a w210 wagon tandem pump onto the LS then made lines for the rear self leveling suspension and power steering. I don't have the skill to make my own headers so I used a passenger side truck shorty header and a drivers side gto shorty header. then chopped off the flanges and welded v-bands on. Im running a 4L60E transmission which took minor clearancing of the trans tunnel to fit. originally I was going to run a T56, which fits without modifying the trans tunnel, but switched directions since the 4L60E has a shorter first gear which will work better with the 2.65 rear gear im running. that's the only option for a factory lsd (450 sel 6.9 rear diff)

heres the ls1tech.com build page:
1982 300TD benz Lm7/4L60e swap - LS1TECH

on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Classy-Wagon-1500387356940274/timeline/

·
Registered
Diesels om616 -> om606
522 Posts
In currently almost finished with my swap. I ditched the gear box and swapped a rack and pinion from a w210 in, I was going to run a T56, which fits without modifying the trans tunnel, but switched directions since the 4L60E has a shorter first gear which will work better with the 2.65 rear gear im running. that's the only option for a factory lsd (450 sel 6.9 rear diff)
]
do you have pictures of how you adapted the rack and pinion? i would be super interested!

how much space did you save? if this is a valid option, it might be a good way to go instead of the crazy routing of the exhaust on my v12 s123 build, lacks space for the downpipe from the turbo on the driveside, so need route that behind the engine and join the passengerside downpipe
(yes i do have space for that routing, yes it is darn f-ing tight)

a rack and pinion would be better if/when i decide to make it somewhat driftable to.
w123 m275 v12 biturbo | Cars | Mercedes-Benz turbo

btw, the w126 and the r107 and w116 also had LSD as an extra,
3.06 and 3.07 large house from 450se/sl/slc,
3.27 in the 380SE/SEC
2.47 in the 380SE/SEC and 2.24 in the 500SE...

have both 3.27 and 2.47 and the 2.65, but am looking for the 3.07 in a LSD version, gearratio wise, the 2.47 was a little to though on the gearbox with dieseltorque

althou those are superrare in the us, but know of people that has imported the 3.07 from Canada here to Sweden.

they might not be as hard to find as the elusive 6.9 differential, but im not shure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In currently almost finished with my swap. I ditched the gear box and swapped a rack and pinion from a w210 in, I was going to run a T56, which fits without modifying the trans tunnel, but switched directions since the 4L60E has a shorter first gear which will work better with the 2.65 rear gear im running. that's the only option for a factory lsd (450 sel 6.9 rear diff)
]
do you have pictures of how you adapted the rack and pinion? i would be super interested!

how much space did you save? if this is a valid option, it might be a good way to go instead of the crazy routing of the exhaust on my v12 s123 build, lacks space for the downpipe from the turbo on the driveside, so need route that behind the engine and join the passengerside downpipe
(yes i do have space for that routing, yes it is darn f-ing tight)

a rack and pinion would be better if/when i decide to make it somewhat driftable to.
w123 m275 v12 biturbo | Cars | Mercedes-Benz turbo

btw, the w126 and the r107 and w116 also had LSD as an extra,
3.06 and 3.07 large house from 450se/sl/slc,
3.27 in the 380SE/SEC
2.47 in the 380SE/SEC and 2.24 in the 500SE...

have both 3.27 and 2.47 and the 2.65, but am looking for the 3.07 in a LSD version, gearratio wise, the 2.47 was a little to though on the gearbox with dieseltorque

althou those are superrare in the us, but know of people that has imported the 3.07 from Canada here to Sweden.

they might not be as hard to find as the elusive 6.9 differential, but im not shure.

I do have some pictures somewhere of the rack and pinion. It saved so much room! Enough that I'll go back eventually and make some custom long tube headers for it. Here in the states basically the only LSD that's a direct bolt in is the 6.9 diff. It would be awesome to see if I can get my hands on one of those 3.07 diffs! My boss has a good friend in Germany and he goes over there a few times a year. So maybe they can find one for me. The rack and pinion is definitely the way to go! Didn't take much to notch the cross member and install.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Heh. Funny this thread should pop up...

Just last week I took the stroker out of Dad's 82 300SD. I have a 350 bored over to 360 going back in.

This is a quick pic I took to text to someone- I will get some more detailed ones after I clean it up.

FB

Attachments

·
Registered
Diesels om616 -> om606
522 Posts
I do have some pictures somewhere of the rack and pinion. It saved so much room! Enough that I'll go back eventually and make some custom long tube headers for it.
i need those pictures! like for real,
the last resort was to remove the brakebooster, adapt a hydrobrake to another place/ofset so i have the "downpipe" of the turbo going to close to the IC (modded for different inlet) to be comfortable, and then behind engine, above swaybar and down with the left side.

fitting the engine, next try | Mercedes-Benz turbo
this is advanced shoehorning as is :p and i have been thinking about the w210 rack and pinion a lot.
what is the ratio of that steering btw? where you able to get a more aggresive steeringangle? (was it a lot of mods, and would it be a valid option for a "drifter"?

im not building a "driftcar", but would be nice to have the oportunity to do some wide laps, a better steeringangle in case of ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do have some pictures somewhere of the rack and pinion. It saved so much room! Enough that I'll go back eventually and make some custom long tube headers for it.
i need those pictures! like for real,
the last resort was to remove the brakebooster, adapt a hydrobrake to another place/ofset so i have the "downpipe" of the turbo going to close to the IC (modded for different inlet) to be comfortable, and then behind engine, above swaybar and down with the left side.

fitting the engine, next try | Mercedes-Benz turbo
this is advanced shoehorning as is :p and i have been thinking about the w210 rack and pinion a lot.
what is the ratio of that steering btw? where you able to get a more aggresive steeringangle? (was it a lot of mods, and would it be a valid option for a "drifter"?

im not building a "driftcar", but would be nice to have the oportunity to do some wide laps, a better steeringangle in case of

Send me a pm with your email and I'll send you any pictures you need. I'm honestly not sure how the ratios compare. I didn't research them before hand. Because the w210 tandem pump was my best option for the rear suspension I just decided to go with the matching rack. I did have to get shorter outer tie rods. They were for a kia or something. Moog part number: MOG es3403. That v12 is crammed in there! Will be nasty as hell with those big turbos too!

·
Registered
Diesels om616 -> om606
522 Posts
not using the turbo on the picture, going for smaler td04-19t something, wants to keep the stock "dieseltorque" 800nm from 1800rpm, and 1000nm from 2400rpm something. with two turbos i dont need to go hx40-hx50 in size :p

PM sent, hoping for pictures!

·
Banned
1982 300D
733 Posts
*Cummins

Its a great idea, if you have a spare $13,000 to throw a vehicle.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.