Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,306 Posts
Post the manufacturer of the wheels.
Crack rims are big issue on W212 models, who come equipped with Czech-made 18" AMG wheels.
I bought the car, who had 3 long cracks on rims with no additional damage around. Spontaneous cracking?

·
Registered
2010 E550 AMG
10 Posts
Post the manufacturer of the wheels.
Crack rims are big issue on W212 models, who come equipped with Czech-made 18" AMG wheels.
I bought the car, who had 3 long cracks on rims with no additional damage around. Spontaneous cracking?
They're 19" AMG rims that are shown in this pic...

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,430 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I have experienced the same issues with my car. I've had my 2010 E550 for barely 5 months and have had 2 cracked rims. It lead me to getting the rims welded a FEW times and constantly filling up the tires every couple days until I recently gave up last weekend and bought a new set of rims altogether. It's crazy to see how common this appears to be after researching this issue.
What size rims? I've never had this problem with 16" wheels.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,306 Posts
What size rims? I've never had this problem with 16" wheels.
In 20 years of driving MB on 15 and 16" rims it took panic braking and running into shoulder pothole to make a lip on my 16" rim. The tire still hold the pressure for remaining 150 miles trip
I also have 18" Lorinser rims, who I bought about 15 years ago and who are about 25 years old. Have them on 5th MB now and no problems.
Right now, living in Vegas we have good roads, but in the past, CA had lot of potholes.

·
Registered
2010 E550 AMG
10 Posts
In 20 years of driving MB on 15 and 16" rims it took panic braking and running into shoulder pothole to make a lip on my 16" rim. The tire still hold the pressure for remaining 150 miles trip
I also have 18" Lorinser rims, who I bought about 15 years ago and who are about 25 years old. Have them on 5th MB now and no problems.
Right now, living in Vegas we have good roads, but in the past, CA had lot of potholes.
This is a first for me too. I've never had any problems with cracked or bent rims on any other car and I'm from NYC where there are tons of potholes everywhere. Those AMG rims I had look good, but really suck smh.

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,430 Posts
The size of the rim you're thinking? I've had big rims like that in the past and never had any issues until now.
Ok well now you do. What is that a 25 or 35 profile tires? It's hard to blame the rim when there's that little rubber between the pavement and the wheel.

·
Registered
'04 SL500; '05 E500; 05 E320 Wagon 4-matic
14 Posts
I have recently experienced issues with cracked wheels. My wife has recently cracked a couple wheels on her '05 E500 (after 100K miles of NOT doing so, I mean it sure looks to me like the local cheap ba$tard$s have been tightening budgets buy 'selectively' repairing the roads around here). Hers are OEM 17's and appear to be plenty sturdy, but a decent hole at 50 MPH is going to damage something. I drive a '05 4matic wagon with stock 16's. As mentioned above, 16's might be stronger, but what happens with the 16's is that you damage the steel belt of the tire instead of cracking the rim when you hit a puddle that is actually a serious pot-hole. Same result though. A refinished stock wheel is just a little bit more than a new tire these days. OBTW, None of the '05 OEM wheels has fared well with the NE weather, with clear coat peeling and the base corroding underneath. Looks like complete crap. Have not cracked or bent a refinished wheel yet (knock on wood, head, whatever).

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,924 Posts
I just replaced tires and found a minor bend on the inside lip of one wheel and a serious bend in another wheel.
Luckily I had two straight wheels from set I bought locally. When I put the last set of tires on four years ago the wheels were fine.
Since then I have had to drive into the city of Milwaukee and Chicago where the potholes are just horrible and getting worse every year.
I have the stoack 17" wheels. I am know using one of the MLs for city driving. I was very surprised even the 17s were bending. They had been fine for at least 7 years and two sets of tires.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,555 Posts
Our E320 CDI came with the 16" wheels, and I'm sure glad of it. The wife's S500 also came with 16" wheels, as did Dad's S430. Not only is the ride a bit cushier, which we both like, but as plenty of other folks have said above, there's more protection for the rim in case of a pothole that you might hit. Remember that road-hazard protection will cover tire damage. I'm not aware of road-hazard protection for rim damage, though, probably because rims can be so expensive to replace.

I'd agree with the above sentiment that the 16" wheels are, overall, the best choice for a W211, unless you're driving an E55 AMG and actually taking the car to the track. Other than that, I don't see the point beside appearance. The W211 is a mid-sized executive sedan, not a race car, and it should be enjoyed as a mid-sized executive sedan.

We also have a W220 with 18" AMG rims (S430 w/ AMG Sport Pkg) and another W220 with 19" AMG rims (S600 TT with AMG Sport Pkg). The S600's 19" rim size had been installed by a previous owner. On W220's, there's a bit more sidewall on the tires, so the 18's don't do quite as badly with bumps on that chassis, compared to the W211's. However, I am still pretty careful with the 18's and very careful with the 19's. We are fortunate to have pretty good roads in my locale. That said, if the 19's start cracking, I will revert it to the stock 18's come the next tire change interval.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
894 Posts
The only good thing is that the price of W211 rims are coming down. I picked up a wheel not too long ago for $145. The W212 rims are still over $200. Around here, fixing a bent rim is $115 and I think it was over $150 to fix a cracked one so when I got a crack, it was just cheaper to get a new rim. I get tires at Costco which has a road hazard warranty so I'd rather get a bubble or a flat tire than a bent or cracked rim as there's no road hazard coverage for rims.

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,430 Posts
The only good thing is that the price of W211 rims are coming down. I picked up a wheel not too long ago for $145. The W212 rims are still over $200. Around here, fixing a bent rim is $115 and I think it was over $150 to fix a cracked one so when I got a crack, it was just cheaper to get a new rim. I get tires at Costco which has a road hazard warranty so I'd rather get a bubble or a flat tire than a bent or cracked rim as there's no road hazard coverage for rims.
Check Craigslist, offerup and nextdoor. Sets of 16" w211 w220 and w140 wheels and tires pop up regularly for $200 or less. I found this set with 2 year old Michelins for $150 on CL. The W140 wheels in the background with Bridgestone blizzaks we're $60 because nobody is buying snow tires in the middle of summer in California.

More recently picked up this set of W210 wheels with 1 year old falken summer tires for $160 at PickNPull. I use them on my w124.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts