Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E350 4MATIC
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my second set of wheels, and cracked another one.
Had this problem with both the factory and aftermarket rims (wheels).
In New England we are prone to potholes and a good sized pothole can take out a rim (wheel) due to the weight of the 4Matic.
Anyone have any luck getting over this issue?

And can anyone explain the difference between a 17 x 7.5 vs a 17 x 8?
All the new wheels I like are a 17 x 7.5, but it look like only a 17 x 8 will fit on a 2006 E350 4matic. I'm not sure why this is.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,105 Posts
The new wheels you'd really like would be 16-in wheels. Then you could fit higher profile tires and be better equipped to avoid wheel damage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Funny, I was going to bring up a similar issues.

I have a 2008 E350 with the 18' sport rims. In Colorado we also have A LOT of killer pot holes. Bent my first 2 rims last week. I'm goint to have the rims repaired at the dealership (I hope thats worth while) but wanted to know when the time comes to put new tires on the car is there a tire on the market that protects my rims better than another??

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,941 Posts
I bent some 17"s.
Also in my area the DPW is very good about paying for damage caused by roads.
One other thing is since I switched to the Nokian WR G2 in a 245/45/17 for the OEM
wheel I have not bent one yet. The handling is not quite as crisp as something like Sport
Pilots, but they are fully snow rated and negate the need to change to snow tires.
Good wear and great wet traction.

·
Registered
2008 E300 4Matic
101 Posts
I've always maintained that the best wheel for the eclass is a 16" wheel. That will offer you the maximum protection and cushion when you encounter pot holes. Surprisingly, in Canada at least, you can only get the diesel with 16" wheels. In Europe too, the majority of the eclasses come with 16's. Lower profile wheels look good in pictures in auto magazines, but that's where the advantage ends . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yet more cracked wheels!

I have three cracked wheels all within the space of 2 years - for the A210 class.
I am a low user, am the only one who drives the car and no killer potholes to speak of. I am beginning to think the problem is not with the roads.

·
Purple Moderator
21,941 Posts
It is not, certain style MB OEM wheels bend and crack on the W211s. It has been discussed
many many times here. I would see what the dealer would say at this point. Some people
have gotten assistance, others have gotten the shaft.
I bought mine with 3 of the 4 bent and it was a CPO car. I had to get OEM reman wheels
from Keystones supplier in the US. I was luck as the whole set of 4 was $600 shipped
for all four with a one year warranty. They were bent OEM MB wheels that had been
repaired and refinished.
What year and model do you have? Also what size wheels? Mine are 17s.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
I have MB stock 16 inch wheels on my car, I have yet to bend one at 110K miles, the size of pot holes in Michigan makes repair shops and dentists happy. You hit'em hard and you hit'em often. I have used Contis the entire time, so far so good, the DPW paid one claim in 2010 for the entire State, they are very helpful in assisting you in filling out the incident report but your chances of getting any damages are exactly one in 12,000.

·
Registered
2007 E350 Sport, 2007 SL550
378 Posts
No ... no troubles with OEM wheels, but I have a set of OEM asymmetrical 18-inch wheels from my wife's 2007 E350 Sport. They have small doses of curb rash maybe, but otherwise are perfectly good wheels, so far as I know. I replaced them with a set of 5-spoke AMG-type wheels merely as a cosmetic feature.

If anyone here is interested in buying the OEM asymmetrical 18-inch wheels, please ping me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have cracked 2 wheels - 2007 E350 Sport - 18" ten spoke pairs - I may decide to switch to a different wheel. I have found some nice looking replicas on ebay. Since the oem are junk, I don't think the replicas can be any worse. Have anyone ever tried the replicas? How is the quality?

Heres the link to the ones im interested in:

18 MERCEDES WHEELS RIM CLS550 SLK300 SLK350 SL550 SL600 AMG Style Black Rims | eBay

·
Registered
2008 E300 4Matic
101 Posts
I normally have 17" on my car and haven't had any problem. I decided to get snows and had Costco order me some replica 16" (made in Japan) which were $520 Cdn. for the set of 4 alloys, then I put on the Michelin X-ice's. They look great and the car rides beautifully. I'm thinking of buying a second set and switching to those in the summer. In terms of practicality, 16" are the way to go. Period.

·
Purple Moderator
21,941 Posts
That extra sidewall really improves the ride and saves wheels.
My OEM 17" wheels were horribly bent. I sent them out for repair and while they
were out for repair I got a set of four repaired ones with new paint and clearcoat
for $500 shipped.
So in case I hit a huge pothole I can just swap sets and get them straightened.
IMO MB really should have made stronger wheels for 17" and up. The piles of junk
wheels I have seen at the dealer makes me want to cry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cracked Rims

On my 2008 E-350 with under 30,000 miles, I just cracked front Passenger side rim. Cracked driver side 90 days ago. Can't remember hitting any big holes.

Wow, never had a car that had a cracked rim before and now I have two in 90 days. Seems like poor original design. If the rims crack with low profile tires, they should not be on the car in the first place.

At $570 per replacement this will get awfully expensive & tiresome. Accepting this poor M-B design by owners is rather silly indeed. I personally will complain in writing to MB corporate about this unacceptable rim failure.

I encourage everyone having rims crack to also write MB corporate and make your complaint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. But then I'll have to spend even more $$$ just because of poor design. I'll see how M-B Corporate handles my letter. There is no excuse for this design fault and M-B should be taken to task on it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I sat in the MB dealer service waiting room once and overheard two customers talking to a service adviser about the frequency of their bent and cracked rims. I was there getting one replaced myself. The service adviser said that this is a common problem, and a lot of people were coming in for the same issue because the snow plows really tore up the road that year. He said the MB wheels on the W211 are weak and bend often. I bent over and took a $500 pounding just like the other guys. Not much you can do nowadays. I heard MB used to be different a while ago, but changed significantly in the past 10 years. Ah well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
E 350 sport cracked wheels

I have had to replace 6 rims and 4 tires in 50,000 miles. any pot hole cracks
these rims, my mercury gran markee can go through anything and I believe
rides better and it cost me 1/2 of what the mercedes costs. I buy from dealer
and from out sources locally and they are the same they ride low to ground
and any pot hole cracks them. I am going to find out if I can get replacement
steel wheels, I am tired of changing tires or waiting 2 hours for road service.
The car is not worth it , in michigan we have rough roads, but in 60 years of
driving, this car is the absolute worse for rims and tires. I have had lincolns,
cadillac, pontiac, saab, and two mercedes I bought at the same time one for my wife and one for my son and same problem with both 3 350, the car is not
worth the hassle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Aftermarket rims may be an option. If anything, cheaper. But also could be stronger. Or maybe forged. But those go for much more. Or go the cheap-o route and have them welded and bent back. Cost you about a hundred dollars, and the pain and suffering of noise and vibration at speed. Those are your options, anyway. A Mercury Marquis may have sturdy wheels, but it looks like it belongs in the last century while Mercs look about half a decade ahead of their time on average. Except the new E. The newer E's look like crap cause they made the new S look like the W211. At least from the rear.

·
Registered
2010 E550 AMG
10 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I have experienced the same issues with my car. I've had my 2010 E550 for barely 5 months and have had 2 cracked rims. It lead me to getting the rims welded a FEW times and constantly filling up the tires every couple days until I recently gave up last weekend and bought a new set of rims altogether. It's crazy to see how common this appears to be after researching this issue.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts