Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like I am always reloading this website for it to come up all the way, as many times it seems to get stuck. This happens whether I use my Firefox, Chrome or Explorer browser. I tried clearing my cache but that doesn't help. Are there any other settings that I might want to use to make it load faster? My settings don't allow third party cookies -could that be it? I have a relatively new computer with tons of memory and power and a fast DSL connection so it's not coming from my end..plus this is the only website this happens to me with.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1988 300SEL, 1979 Toyota Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,542 Posts
Yep, have had trouble loading BW for the last few days, Thought it was my wireless but all other sites are fine.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
Happens to me to,it's ok for a bit then I have to wait or the page comes up but the annoying little spinning thing in the corner won't stop.:mad:...So it doesn't return to where it was on the page,then when I'm reading something it loads and jumps.....Thought it was a problem here,keep doing restarts and resets on my box....

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to know it's not only me!

I'm starting to think the problem is that all the pages on BW are so heavy with advertising that they are slowing everything down. There are ads all along the left side, the top, the middle, and even stacked on top of each other -all of this advertising has to slow things down, not to mention all the cookies being loaded on our systems. That's capitalism for ya folks..lol.

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3rd-party is the likely culprit. There's 10 other sites affiliated w/ BW (see list). Firefox with the NoScript plugin is the best way to surf - period. Chrome's OK, but it's constantly looking to get out to the net - even when it's not open (blocked by my firewall). I trust Google as far as I can throw 'em.
Can you tell me more about this NoScript plugin? What does it do exactly that makes surfing better? =)

·
Registered
1989 560SEC 'Artic White'
37 Posts
Computer lagging?

If you have formed a habit of not turning off your computer for a while...now would be a great time to restart it so the computer can reload and delete extra 'cache' that needs to be deleted...

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Guys you have to check this out! While I was looking at the addon MrBits recommended, I saw on the Mozilla addon list something free called AdBlock Plus. I read what they said and it sounded good, so I downloaded it. IMMEDIATELY I noticed a HUGE difference in the speed of this page coming up and opening threads! I was right, it IS the ads that slow things down so much! Of course, you can still visit the sponsors of this fine website, but if you are having probs with this page loading quickly I would encourage you to download this free addon for Mozilla Firefox..it really is amazing in what it does by getting rid of all the annoying ads which lets pages load faster and just lets you see what you wanted in the first place. =)

http://adblockplus.org/en/

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have formed a habit of not turning off your computer for a while...now would be a great time to restart it so the computer can reload and delete extra 'cache' that needs to be deleted...
Actually I turn my computer off really often..I have that in my settings to automatically turn it off after so many minutes. I also have it set up to empty all my cache everytime I close my browser.

The problem was the advertising, because now that I have this AdBlock Plus everytime I open BW it loads up super fast..way faster than even when I didn't have problems, yet you can still visit sponsors if you like. Thank goodness for Mozilla addon's..lol.

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For one thing, that list of sites I posted would not normally be so easily identified, would it? I've seen some sites trying to pull/push from 3x as many other sites as BW does. By blocking those, and permitting just the site your are visiting, makes it load faster... plus more private & secure.

It does take some getting used to, in terms of figuring out what really need to be allowed in order for some sites to function properly. Booking airlines reservations for example.
Thanks MrBits for the info. You might want to try this AdBlock Plus too..I'm really loving the results I am getting and it's completely auto..no fiddling with it at all. It's nice to visit all these pages now and not be assaulted with ads.. =)

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,376 Posts
Just downloaded that program.
Hell what a "huge" difference it makes to the speed of viewing BW pages.
I was noticed BW was getting slower & slower!!!! to load up and so frustrating.
Once again thanks for the info- wish i had known about this long ago.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,079 Posts
Adblock is amasing! I got it installed the first day i got firefox and its working great. All the blingy ads are gone :thumbsup:

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,939 Posts
Adblock and Mozilla Firefox = A+

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
we have been recommending adblock plus for quite some time now, of course a premium membership does away with all other ads as well, in combination the two make the site quite fast.

for example...

Attachments

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Bye

See ya SELLC/Rexx - to keep coming back this way you must be one sorry MoFo :tosser1:

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,924 Posts
Just downloaded adblock...brilliant result.:D:D

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,580 Posts
I knew it was all the ads making this site far slower thawn all others I visit

thought it was just my older computers that couldn't handle it all

·