Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300CD former, 1988 300CE former, R107 future
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got to thinking; I've seen so many different cars with so many different swapped brand engines in. IE: GM LSx Series V8's in..........everything (Miatas, RX7's, E36 M3's, even into a Fox Body Mustang!); and there there is the venerable small block Ford itself; compact; cheap; reliable.

Has anyone ever swapped another brand motor into a W123 chassis car? I'll probably be banned for even mentioning this; and believe me my 300CD runs strong and I love it; but I just had that thought that IF it ever blew up......well a Ford 302, T5 Manual Transmission, and a bunch of cash thrown at a local welder to fab up mounts would be a lot of fun.

Yes?
No?
Maybe so?

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
dude, you think just like me. i have contemplated the same thing on both of benz'. i personally think the 123 would be a little easier than the 124 due to the steering sector.
as for now my 123s are all good. my 124 however, if i dont fiqure out why it wont start, it is going to be my 5.7 litre project. my problem is an engine and tranny to put in the car. i have a welder, torch, all kinds of stuff to do the job, just no money to build and engine. i have done that sort of thing before to a dodge truck. i have a feeling i will end up doing it to my 124.

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,485 Posts
Since the 230CE is really rare here, I've been thinking of popping a 190 driveline with a 2.3 4 cyl and a 5 speed in a 123. I think that would be cool:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
come on guys, where is your imagination? now how would you all feel if a 123 came by you on the road smokin tires at 100+ mph? you dont see that everyday now do you?
i mean, come on, dont all of you build go carts for your sons that have a 450 street bike engine on it? or.... am i the only one?

·
Registered
1983 300CD former, 1988 300CE former, R107 future
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tech involved to stuff a MB V8 in, and the resulting high maintenance, expensive to maintain, relatively low power solution does not interest me.

Blasphemy? Ban me? Then buy my car. It's very clean, drives like a dream, and runs like a top. I'm not rushing out to drop another engine in. I'm just day dreaming. But in the end it's my car to do what I like with just as your cars are yours to do with as you please. The thought of a sweet sounding, torque rich, pig simple and cheap to repair or modify small block Ford or Chevy motor hooked to a 5 speed transmission sounds like a lot of fun, and a great way to get a lot of bang for relatively little bucks. No 18" wheels, and dual 4" exhaust pipes for me. Just clean looking with the performance I want to back it up. Imagine Mustang GT Performance with the ride, build quality and classic looks of the W123 Coupe. Sounds like a winner to me.

I'm a used car dealer by profession. I've always got a slew of mid 90's-early 2000's Mercedes in stock. None of them are as enjoyable to drive as my 300CD. But I sure wouldn't mind having a big of good ole V8 power without the cost, expense or complexity of a MB V8.

I've even gone so far to desecrate the car by installing an aftermarket stereo and one of those 99 cent over the door edge cup holders. Ban me now :)

Hey, at least you guys are a bit more open minded than the crew over on the MGB and Miata boards! (and I have found a lot of excellent info on these forums in just a few weeks so that's cool!)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I got over my big engine infatuation. I used to have several large GMs powered by large V8 engines.

I almost wish my 450SL was a 280SL now.

Besides, not that I'm into jap car tuning, but it's pretty impressive that they're making 400HP out of 4 cylinder engines.

Most V8s in STOCK form do not produce that much power.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
yes the japs have us on techno for those little 4 bangers. however i would imagine maintenance to be a pain on them. i am all about simplicity, give me a raw, simple, chevy v8 and i can make it run forever. fast too. no more, check continuity, measure this, adjust that, turn steering wheel to the left while holding left finger in right nostril, etc.
put gas in it and drive...

·
Registered
1982 300CD; 2012 ML350 BT; 2011 E350 4M Wagon
1,672 Posts
The 5.7 liter Chevy in my father's 1982 300SD is hot. Yeah, it's a heavy car, but it moves.

Lots of work getting the motor mounts right, installing electric fans, making the throttle and shift linkages, air conditioning, etc. work...

FB

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,889 Posts
BF somethinge or another on here or mshop has a small block chevy engine and ford steering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am right behind you on this project, and have been researching it alot lately. High mileage 90's SL500s are cheap and easy to come by, and that huge engine bay is just begging for an LSx engine IMHO. Would you use the stock rear end and rear suspension? If it would hold the power, you would retain the nice ride of the SL, yet have the power and ease of maintainence of an american small bock. DO IT! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes 300D
1,252 Posts
Since the 230CE is really rare here, I've been thinking of popping a 190 driveline with a 2.3 4 cyl and a 5 speed in a 123. I think that would be cool:thumbsup:
I'd really enjoy that, even if you shoehorned that setup into a non-coupe like my current 300D.

I'm not so against engine swaps, so long as they are done correctly - as in, no "hacking". It should appear almost as though the engine was installed that way from the factory.

But then again, I'm just picky. :)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I wish I would have had room to keep the ratty old coupe around. That might have been a good test-bed for such a project.

Maybe I'll have to buy some old beat up 300D and try this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.