Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anyone did any performance tuning to the R129 engine?

21K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Benz4Dirt&Sky 
#1 ·
Hi wondering if any of you out there was crazy enuf to do performance tuning like supercharging the R129 block. I would love to learn and follow your footstep!!!! : )

#2 ·
turbo?

Im not sure about a s/c but i know mosselman makes a turbo setup for the car. it would make some serious power!

#3 ·
I had my r129 sl 500 tuned by Renntech, It has the full 6.0L conversions with lorinser spo...

I had my r129 sl 500 tuned by Renntech, It has the full 6.0L conversions with lorinser sport exhaust. I tried looking for a supercharger but none seems available for the R129 from Kleeman and Renntech, only for the new body.

#5 ·
I have a 91 Sl60 by Renntech with the 6.0 Liter conversion and let me tell you, This car HALLS ASS.
It easily smokes the tires in First,Second and third
It won't blaze the in all three but you hear them screeming. I am going to install a N.O.S kit so I
can go Viper Hunting. Renntech claims 410+ HP from their version of the SL60 and the AMG version is said to have about 380HP. Any spped shop can build that same motor, it's not rocket science. If i were to do it again, I would have went to a local speed shop and saved a few bucks.
Good Luck

#6 ·
I recently bought a 1997 SL 600 with a Vortech supercharger. This car screams. I was told that it has about 600hp and it feels like it. It is much faster than my 98 Vette and it has 400hp. It has an adjustable racing suspension, 19" wheels with huge tires. Cannot find who did the original work. But a lot of money went into this car.[8D]

#10 ·
Would love to see some pictures of the vortech. I'm intersted in seeing where they squeezed it in.

#11 ·
IF ANYONE HAS A PICTURE OF A VORTECH SUPERCHARGED V-12
I WOULD JUST LOVE TO SEE IT! I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A V-12 SUPERCHARGER FOR A LONG LONG TIME![B)]

#13 ·
Adam@HPS - 7/12/2004 6:44 PM

A supercharger system will be available for the SL500. Customers can expect power gains of up to 135 horsepower, with low-end torque gains to match. Pricing for the new systems will start at $6,995.

I've attached specs for this system

· Magnusson fifth generation MP112 Eaton supercharger
· Water-to-air intercooling system
· Peak boost up to seven pounds per square inch (psi)
· Supercharger whine significantly reduced
Any pics and spec sheets of this being done? Thanks

#14 ·
On Ebay there are chips for the 320 engine (SL320 mentioned). Anyone tried one of these?

Thanks

Al Lydon
96SL320

#15 ·
Did the HPS S/C for 129 SL500s ever materialize?

CARB legal?

I don't see it on the website, and almost a year has passed.

#18 ·
Storm. - 2/22/2005 2:40 AM

If its for the 300 or 300-24, I'd only suggest mosselman twin turbos. Nowdays a 500 will cost the same as the conversion so what's the point?
Not sure what you mean. I have a quote for a CARB legal Kleeman set up for around $13k installed. That gets me 500HP. SL55 performance. Total investment $60k. For a perfect 2002 with 29k miles. (The hardtop had never been removed on the car.)

This was a better option for me than spending $75,000 on an underpowered 2003 SL500, and I can't do an SL55 without my wife leaving me.

[:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.