Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to fiberglass in one of the trunk side cubbies in my W210 E Class. Other than the quick tutorial that the fiber glass shop gave me, I'm winging it this weekend [:O] . I plan on filling in the cubby and and making each wall about 1/2" thick with fiberglass mat and resin. The face will have an MDO face so the JL 10W6 has something to screw into solidly. I'll line the inside with Dynamat to try to kill any resonance and to make the walls even a little thicker.<BR><BR>
Anyone have any suggestions or "make sure you don't"s?<BR><BR>
Anyone know where I can get some carpeting to cover the whole thing to match the stock carpeting in the trunk?

·
Registered
2 Posts
fiberglass install

Have you already began? I'm sure some of the tips that were given were to make sure you mask off anything you don't want fiberglass to get on to. Also, all you need is the first layer for the beginning mold, then take it out and work on it. Are you doing this for weight purposes, as well as to utilize space?

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't get around to starting it yet. Bought all the materials but ran out of time this we...

Didn't get around to starting it yet. Bought all the materials but ran out of time this weekend. I'm building it outside of the car so I don't ruin anything (the whole cubby in the trunk of a W210 comes out).<BR><BR>I'm doing it to utilize space. An easy solution would be to just throw a huge box in the trunk and I'm done. But I like having all the trunk space for stuff so that's why I'm putting it in on of the side cubbies which don't get used as much. Plus it will look better. I should have about 1.5 cubic feet of box volume when I'm done. Plenty for the JL 10W6 that I'm going to put in there.

·
Registered
e-320
33 Posts
I have a 2001 e class and i built a fiberglass enclousure on the left side of the trunk ...

I have a 2001 e class and i built a fiberglass enclousure on the left side of the trunk in that space.you can fit a 12 inch sub if you wanted with a slight angle towards the back of the trunk.you can take that corner panel out of the car and work onit outside.also make sure you are going to be able to install the panel back in the location before you get to much into it.

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. Do you have any pics of the install process? Any pics of the final pr...

Thanks for the tips. Do you have any pics of the install process? Any pics of the final product?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts