Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody with a Colgran bra on their E55?<br> <br> I recently purchased a Colgan bra my 2001 E55 from Performance Products. When putting the top portion on, I noticed that the bra did not 'conform' to the curves of the hood. I know that this bra is made specifically for the E class, but it seems like the top hood portion is made for a Benz with a flat hood. As you all probably know, the E series has a curved hood (from the headlights). But when I have the bra on, the bra runs straight across the hood; when it rains, water is trapped in the two large 'reservoirs' which forms on the hood under the bra. It's hard to explain, but it's just that my car's hood is curved and the bra for this model appears to be made for a car that has a flat hood. What can I do? Anybody else using a Colgan bra with this problem? <br> <br> Thanks,<br> Warren

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've got the same bra. Haven't had it on for a while though. I mainly use it in the summer to keep the bugs off. I did post a pic of it a while back. When I get home I'll repost the link for the pic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try a clear bra that uses the 3M film...XPel is one manufacturer. Got it on my Silver E and it looks great plus gives peace of mind without the hassle of putting on the bra and taking it off, scratches under the bra, etc. You treat the film once it is on just like the rest of the painted surfaces...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rich, I would appreciate a pic. Does your Colgan bra conform to the curves on your hood, or does it lie straight across, leaving 'pockets' above each headlight?<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I looked at X-Pel also, but for a hood/bumper package, the price came out to more than 3x the price for the Colgan bra. I'll give Colgan a shot first, and then maybe X-Pel.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pic w/bra

Here is the pic link I hope. It does not conform to the contour of the hood. It flaps around quite a bit at higher speeds. The bra will leave superficial marks on the car, but these come off easily with Maguiers Paint Cleaner. You should never leave it on when wet. Under the bra it will be dark and moist and an ideal environment for mold to grow which will damage the paint.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Pic w/bra

Thanks for the pic Rich, exactly like mine. Yeah, I guess the biggest question I had was the bra fitting on the curved hood. I guess I can live with the 'reservoirs' of water over the headlights.<br> <br> I have a 2001...no front license plate. What year is yours? I read in a porsche forum that front license plates were required in CA, but I have nowhere to put it.<br> <br> Also, does your paint chip very easily? Man, after 2 quick rides on the highway, I have about 10 new, small rock chips (and it's not like I'm offroading it or anything...just smooth highways). It just seems like the paint is very soft and chips very easily.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Pic w/bra

Mine is an '01. If you drive fast you will get chips. The bra will help with that. The thing that drives me crazy is the bugs. I live in a rural area and after one run at night the bumper is covered with bugs. <br> '01 E55<br> black/charcoal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts