Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3L
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So about 10 years ago my car was in an accident on the left side. The plastic panel on the bottom of the front left door has a little crater where the plastic broke off. Its about 5 inches wide and 4 high. Clearly, its not critical to fix but I'm wondering if people have any suggestions?

Is there a way for a body shop to fill in the hole? Is the panel detachable? If so, I guess one thing would be to get a panel from a junk yard and have the body people match the color...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2, 99 SL500 Sport
1,859 Posts

·
Premium Member
'92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
913 Posts
Be careful when you remove the panel as its being held by very expensive clips 6 clip-on lower part + 5 slide-on upper part [$4 each x(male+female)x11] and do the math

I'm doing a full exterior restoration on my '89 2.6, so start by unscrewing the 2 screws from the door lip/side edge, and by hand, then slide the whole panel forward (you'll take off the upper part in this case) and then take the panel off at the lower part clip by clip

the material is easy to fix with good quality glue, sand and paint as required.... a junkyard will cost you much more than fixing the panel as good used parts of our cars are getting more expensive... I guess they are entering the vintage margin:D

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3L
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I went to the junkyard today to get another panel. I tried to remove it but didn't succeed. I undid the 2 screws from the door lip and removed the small bolts on the underside of the car. But I couldn't get it to budge. I didn't try moving it forward...so the problem is I needed to slide it forward after unbolting it from the bottom/wheel cage?

If I were to fix the hole on mine, how would I do it (I'm very much a newbie). Would you take plastic from another panel, glue it on, sand it down and paint over it?

Thanks,

Ron

·
Premium Member
'92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
913 Posts
Post a pic Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts