Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S600 Euro, 2001 E430 4Matic, 2001 BMW 750IL
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 1995 S600 (Euro Model) for about 3 years now but never changed the transmission oil. I don't even know how to check the transmission oil level.
I noticed a dip stick (about 6" long) with markings for 20 and 50 degrees located in the center front part of the engine (after you remove the black plastic cover) but there is no instruction or any indication as to what it is.
Can someone help before I go and get ripped-off by some mechanic.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Yes, search this forum for "transmission fluid change" or

similar phrases. You'll find a nicely documented how to post.

The reservoir you mention is the power steering fluid.

Brett

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
The photo shows the transmission fluid dipstick circled carimah. Trans must be warm, and engine running to check trans fluid. You'll see marks on the dipstick to indicate proper levels. Watch yourself around running engines!

Attachments

·
Registered
'07 S65 AMG '95 S600 '98 E430 '83 300SD '81 300D
111 Posts
If you have never changed the trans fluid, I would have the fluid and filter changed immediately. 35K between services max. I waited a little too long once....the tranny sucked the filter and associated debris through the system and basically ruined the transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Tell me Bret, what is the white plastic reservoir with hydraulic oil on the right for?
Also do you know where I can get a good repair manual (preferably on CD or DVD) for this car?

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
If you go to my gallery you will find pics on how to do it.. remeber only to use MB parts and oil.. drain the torque converter at the same time..get yourself a digital camera it helps us to sort your probs.. the white plastic reservoir on the right under the cover is for your power steering if its in the ceter.. if its to the left its your suspension....

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
There is a W140 CD available. Around US$150-200. Try Caliber Motors, board sponsor

There is also www.alldatadiy.com. Very good deal for US$25 for the first year and US$14 thereafter. I have both. Everything I have looked at on the CD so far has been on alldata, but I haven't looked through the CD extensively.

The other reservoir is the suspension fluid, as mentioned.

Brett

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Merc600sec - 4/26/2005 6:21 AM

If you go to my gallery you will find pics on how to do it.. remeber only to use MB parts and oil.. drain the torque converter at the same time..get yourself a digital camera it helps us to sort your probs.. the white plastic reservoir on the right under the cover is for your power steering if its in the ceter.. if its to the left its your suspension....
Hmm.. not on top of my game here.. Ok what I meant to say is .. The power steering reservoir is the one in the middle of the engine under the star..usually black top with black body..The suspension reservoir is on the left of the car , RHS as you look under the hood..has a little dipstick in there and a white body with a black top with a tube into it.. see the pics will explain it for you..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for their help. I have got all I need to do the job this weekend.
One thing though, I went to the local MB dealer for the MB transmission fluid and they told me to use any good Dextron AT fluid. Is this correct? I mean they are the official MB guys here and should know better. They do not have any in stock and are using Dextron fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts