Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did it cost you? I might be able to get a great deal on a W140 with very very worn seats... just curious as to (roughly) what it costs to have them properly redone.

·
Registered
1999 s320 188k
124 Posts
Mine are are worn, i went toa shop that repairs seats and the guy gave me an estimate of $600 per seat for imitation leather. I think its too expensive.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine are are worn, i went toa shop that repairs seats and the guy gave me an estimate of $600 per seat for imitation leather. I think its too expensive.
Holy cow that's a lot of money... and for IMITATION? Forget it... i'd probably be better off getting the nice sheepskin covers. Then again I don't know what those cost. :eek:

·
Registered
Mercedes S500 - W140 && S500 W220.
821 Posts
Interesting topic .. as this is one pain all of us share.

The Leather on my car is totally shot, However I would be more interested in

1. Either buying better seats from the junkyard and spending some TLC on them.

2. Retrofitting a later model's seats ( front ).

I am very interested if anyone has tried option (2).

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,639 Posts
I bought a used complete interior in very good condition ,only downside is the rear door trim that's from a short wheelbase so they are useless to me & the lumbar support bladders had a hole in it like they all have ,remember checking on that detail anyone that buys a 2nd hand interior ,only the rear doors trim .
Cost me AU$250 ,wich is nothing ,i strip it myself out of the car & dumpt it in the backroom shed ,a half 140 is in that room, lol ,good to have all the extra motors and pumps spare for the seats .
mgill85258 ,if you close by come and get it cost's you an italian espresso coffee negoiable on the sugar ,lol,safes you a headache .:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
If the seats are worn, you can refinish them your self. Now, torn can be fixed by you too.

I have refinished my seats, and it is work and it takes time-like painting a car. The key is soften the leather.

I use the leatherique products. I getting ready to do three pairs of front seats, yet I have done it before it just much easier to do it outside the vehicle. The seats need to cook in the sun, but not in the direct sun, or else the leather will shrink 1/2"(13mm). I will make a wooden frame box, and cover it with black construction paper, so it get VERY hot inside. The seat(s) coated with rejuvinator from leatherique before.

Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

Once softened, the seats can be refinished with the appropriate dye, or the cracks can be filled-in. The dye is like latex paint, and it should be sprayed with a touch-up paint gun, and do mask any color vinyl beads around the seat because the dye is aggressive to bind to the beads.

The key is to prep the seats as most old leather just gets very hard like an inflated leather volleyball.

If this is too much for you, you can get new replacement leather skins put on. Here is one in my area, but you may find one in your area.

Porsche Convertible Tops : BMW Seat Covers : Mercedes Leather Seats : Soft Top : Porsche Carpet : German Auto Tops Inc.

Mercedes Seat Covers : Leather Seats : German Auto Tops Inc.

Best of luck,

Martin

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen the Leatherique products and they can do a wonderful job if your seats are still intact. I was thinking more along the lines of if the seats had chunks of leather literally MISSING from the seats, as there is currently a very nice looking car for sale but with a horrible drivers seat... I am not going to be buying this car (well, possibly if it's still there in a couple of months) but it's just something I was thinking about.

Junkyard seats may be another option, or biting the bullet and paying the ~$600 to have it done is also an option.

Always remember to condition and take care of your leather, folks! It saves many headaches in the future.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
600 bucks is 600 bucks!, one set of seats i'm redoing 2"x1" triangle piece missing. I plan to glue a piece from the rear to fill the opening, and then glue a piece to fill the triangle opening. Then fill the edges with leatherique crack-filler, and dyeing(spraying) the entire seat .

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1563923-leather-restore.html

Mine is torn from the same spot as in the thread above.

Martin

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, great information and also a funny thread to skim through haha..

This is certainly a good conversation to be had when it comes to seats, since with the age of these cars it is almost always a problem, unless they were very well maintained by all owners.

I feel more comfortable about having to do repair work now, depending on the severity of course -- otherwise replacement seats would be a good option. I hope there is a good junk yard in Phoenix with a lot of Mercedes to chose from, that will be helpful.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
I think $2k is about right.

Too cheap will land you linoleum, and no sense overpaying, so $2k sounds about right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts