Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML55 AMG
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm looking for the T10 style 2 watt light socket that illuminates the speedo and tachometer gauges. There's 2 of them backlighting the main dials and they're not available from the dealer (no part #). I accidentally snapped a retention tab off mine while changing the bulb.

Cheers

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,188 Posts
porschenut,

PC74 twist sockets.
I believe you can get them off amazon along with LED bulbs.
Possibly sold separately.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
930 Posts
Porschenut

Got to ask what happened to yours?

If you cant find them let me know, there are 3 mls in the pick a part yard 1/4 mile from my house. One I think has the cluster out just laying there. If an easy pick I will grab them for you, the yard does not charge for bulbs.

·
Registered
2000 ML55 AMG
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips and offer to source a pick a part Wallyo! I really hate to trouble anybody to that degree so I'll keep your offer in mind and try alternatives for now. I called a ton of local dismantlers but they'll only quote me an entire cluster. I get it since a cluster typically isn't something that breaks down and the parts yards in Canada have a lot less inventory than down there so they can't afford to split up parts like a cluster. As for how I messed mine up, I wanted to bend the tab a little tighter in case it was suffering from loose tension and it snapped right off the instant I got my pliers on it. I know! So STUPID. I couldn't just leave well enough alone.

It's an interesting thing about those PC74's. I bought some off Amazon last week but they don't seem to fit. The plastic cast retention tabs appear too wide and they won't fit into the slots on the circuitboard. Mind you, I didn't force them and maybe I could've. They certainly didn't slide right in and 1/4 turn like the factory ones. I'm also playing with the idea of grinding them down a bit but would really just prefer original style ones.

I found these aftermarket direct replacements online last night (after hours searching) but they're pretty pricey for what they are so they're currently my fall back option:
Main Dash Light Bulb Holder Socket Set | Product | MercedesSource.com

Since I'm Canadian and they're from the USA, they'd cost me about double by the time I had them in my hand up here. So you can imagine, I don't want to spend $50USD when I only need 1 one of these little buggers!

Am I little bitter at Mercedes for not having a part # for these? Maybe more than a little. lol.

Mercedes has a reputation of having anything available from any historical model and they've failed me with so many parts on the W163.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,188 Posts
Those are the same ones I used to swap over to led backlighting, replacing the 2 watt incandescent bulbs. 2 required.

They do fit - a tad snug when twisting them into place with the leds. Only needed a 1/4 turn to make sure the
contacts on these made a proper connection into the CB. As for the leds, they needed to be orientated correctly (+-) in these PC74s to light up. I initially thought I had a few defective leds, but once orientated correctly, it was good to go.

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.04.44 PM.png

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,932 Posts
I had to do a couple of bulbs a few years ago and for whatever reason AutohausAZ had a complete gauge set on sale for about $25. I bought the whole set and had no problem removing the bulbs from the plastic holders and swapping them out.

·
Registered
2000 ML55 AMG
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. You guys have awesome advice! Thanks a million! I'm going to try the PC74s again. Good thing I haven't returned them yet.

·
Registered
2000 ML55 AMG
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the offer Wallyo. I managed to hack the PC74 sockets in about 15 min. I did have a bit of manipulating to do though. I had to carve off a bit of material from the locking tabs to:
1) make them narrower to first allow them to pass through the slots in the circuitboard and then;
2) remove the 1/4 turn stops to allow them to rotate counterclockwise.

Once I completed the first step, I realized that the clockwise 1/4 turn (maybe more like an 1/8th) wasn't enough travel to allow the electrical connectors to sweep far enough to engage with the power strips on the circuit board. Modifying them to rotate 360 degrees allowed me to re-position them to engage and complete the circuit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts