Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 300 SD
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking underneath, to test the speedo pickup. However, I see two different things on opposite sides of the Transmission, which could be the pickup. I suspect that the one I am looking for is on the driver's side, kind of roundish, and fixed in place with one bolt? -Is that correct?

·
Registered
82 300 SD
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-Thanks (again) for the info. -I probably wasn't clear about what I was asking:

-I understood that there is a test for the pickup that is on the transmission, and that you can remove the pickup, and tap it with a screwdriver, and the needle should jump. -I thought that was on the tail end of the transmission, but I saw two things on opposite sides of the tranny that had wiring. I wanted to know which one was which.

-Also, where do you get the pdfs that you sent from? -I want to get a good manual, and the Haynes manual I have just doesn't cut it. -Is there some specific vendor that sells a CD version of the shop manual?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,680 Posts
Here's one:

I couldn't resist. :D

·
Registered
82 300 SD
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's one:

I couldn't resist. :D
Speedometer be damned, I'd rather run without one than risk seeing THAT guy under my car (I'll not use a shorter version of the word "transmission" in this sentence...)

·
Registered
w126
1,535 Posts
At one time MB was selling a 2-cd service manual for $20. That's where most of the pdf files come from. If you look around the forum you might run across a set.

There's a test similar to what you described. You don't actually strike the sensor. It's easier to lift a wheel and let it spin than it is to go underneath the car and remove the sensor(for me anyway). I usually get a face full of dirt under there. I haven't tried that method.

That cylindrical sensor in the picture is on the drivers side. It has what looks like a coaxial cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts