Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'01 R129 SL500 & '08 W204 C300
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side took a rock from the freeway, it's small and doesn't look like it will crack or split. However if it does... How much does the light go for (Avg?) and does it come with the entire HID assy (My car has oem HID) is it a DIY job or do you need to take it to the dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Two Benz Garage if memory serves me but I'm getting old and I forget things, you should be able to only replace the glass.

Cheers.

·
Registered
'01 R129 SL500 & '08 W204 C300
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two Benz Garage if memory serves me but I'm getting old and I forget things, you should be able to only replace the glass.

Cheers.
That is good to know, hopefully that's all that is involved:thumbsup:

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Yeah, you can replace just the glass. It's not a hard job, and the lens is only about $100.

I replaced both of mine, because they cloudy from rocks/sand after awhile.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,739 Posts
Out of curiosity, are the USA OEM xenon lenses plastic or glass? I know the earlier headlamps had plastic lenses but I'm not sure about the xenon headlamp lenses.

If they are plastic, maybe it would be a good idea to replace them with the European spec. glass lenses.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
I think that the Xenon headlamps were the same all over the world because I see no difference in the pics with US Spec cars and others.
But I might be wrong.

Cheers.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Out of curiosity, are the USA OEM xenon lenses plastic or glass? I know the earlier headlamps had plastic lenses but I'm not sure about the xenon headlamp lenses.

If they are plastic, maybe it would be a good idea to replace them with the European spec. glass lenses.
They are definitely glass.

·
Registered
2000 SL500 Mineral Green
222 Posts
After replacing the lens, you might want to get the clear, thick, stickon protectors. Much cheaper than lens replacement.

They do a good job of protecting without noticeably reducing the light output. But over time, they do lose their clarity from road debris abrasion. Stongard used to offer them, but I'm not sure if they are still in business. A google should show sources.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Chris,
Change it to $200 autohausaz.com

Regards.
aam.
They were cheaper when I bought them, like $100 at the dealer. Parts.com has them for $142.

There are random weird things on autohaus that are more expensive than other places sometimes, this must be one of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts